What is the best place in Indonesia to learn to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkelflip

Registered
Reaction score
Is Raja Ampat too risky for a novice diver because of the strong currents and limited visibility? Is Wakatobi more suitable in this respect?
Is there another place that is comparable to these two in terms of the richness of marine life, yet a good place to learn?

thanks!

I'm actually really interested to hear feedback here too...looking to book a dive trip to Indonesia in Dec...but worried about weather at Wakatobi (where I am looking) at this time of year, and if it's going to rain a lot.

Would love to dive Komodo, but the stories about the currents have me worried and I'm a pretty novice diver.

I spent a week diving Bunaken a couple weeks ago...which I highly recommend and currents were not that bad although there were a couple medium ones - no big fish though.

The Bunaken area is perfect for a novice diver, currents are always changing around here and ofcourse you can't be sure if there will be current at a dive site yes or no. By using the tidetable we can estimate the currents and usually this works out very well. There are also divesites around Bunaken which rarely have any current, and if there is a current it's a very easy and gentle current. There are divesites which are famous for it's strong currents but it's easy to stay away from, although at those sites you have the best chances for sharks, barracuda's and other bigger fish.
All and all the currents are very nice here around bunaken.

Diving the mainland around manado provides you with a whole different range of divesites and 90% of them rarely has any current and the diving is awesome, especially if you like macro.

Lembeh strait is also perfect for novice divers conceirning currents, although your buoyancy has to be perfect over there because it's all muck (read : black sand diving) diving over there.

Other places in Indonesia I don't have experience with, I have been working now for 1 1/2 year in the Bunaken area and diving is absolutely amazing...

Is Raja Ampat too risky for a novice diver because of the strong currents and limited visibility? Is Wakatobi more suitable in this respect?
Is there another place that is comparable to these two in terms of the richness of marine life, yet a good place to learn?

thanks!

Just suggestion, find a good instructor to learn to dive in your home country. Then go to indonesia for leisure dive...you will enjoy the dive better.

Andy

Some good places to learn, Gili Trawangan, Bali, Manado, and even Ambon however I would leave Raja Empat and Komodo until you have some experience in the water.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
One concern I have with Bunaken (and this has been highlighted in the Lonely Planet Guide) is that there is a pollution problem in that area due to the proximity of Manado. What are people's experiences with this - is it an exaggeration?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
One concern I have with Bunaken (and this has been highlighted in the Lonely Planet Guide) is that there is a pollution problem in that area due to the proximity of Manado. What are people's experiences with this - is it an exaggeration?

I'm working now for 1 1/2 years in this area and the first time I came here was 3 years ago. Yes we do have a pollution problem, a lot of plastic bags and other garbage floating around. It is getting less, people are getting more aware of this problem and it seems to change slowly. Nowadays there is a boat going around getting out the plastic. But it's something I believe we never get rid of because of the mentality of the locals. It doesn't mean the pollution is always visible, it depends on how the weather and the currents are. After heavy rain and currents from Manado you will find a lot but the day after it will be gone again. For me personally it doesn't effect the diving that much that people will say I won't come here anymore, it not's like you are always diving in between plastic and garbage. Don't let this stop you to come here, the area is far to beautiful and you really miss out on some excellent diving if you don't come. If you're lucky you won't see any garbage, if you have bad luck you will see it........

Tasik Ria just outside of Manado has a deep swimming pool and a beautiful house reef which are ideal. I would suggest you contact them about training. Then you can be off on the boat to Bunaken. We went to Bunaken when we were not very experienced and had no trouble at all. The visibility is reassuringly clear and the currents are fun not frightening. (Proper training, proper briefing, proper buddy etc always essential).

Last time we went to Manado there was a clear improvement in the marine environment. It has always been spectacular but their efforts and education programmes were paying off.

We will be there at lumbalumba again this summer. Count down nearly about to start!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom