What is the best time of year to visit the great barrier reef with spirit of freedom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hvrietsc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife, son and I are newbie divers (less than 20 dives) but we are considering going to spend 4 days on the spirit of freedom live aboard. First we were thinking of going in June next year, but after some reading on scubaboard and other websites we think that the water might be too cold (74 degrees) and the possibility for the sea to be too rough. Of course the travel agent is saying that as long as you wear 5mil suits that we will be fine, but I get cold diving Cozumel in March. We are also very susceptible to seasickness and the thought of spending 4 days at sea being sick and not being able to enjoy our dives is not something we look forward to. Still we want to give it a try but maybe in a better season when the water is warm and the weather calm.

Hence my question: what is the best time of year to visit the great barrier reef from the spirit of freedom liveaboard, so that we have the warmest water and the least chance of rough seas?

74 degrees is too cold? I wish I lived where 74 was considered cold!

Seriously though its the GBR, any time of year could see rough seas. Try getting some prescription motion sickness meds, they seem to work WAY better than dramamine. And as far as the temp goes, get a thick suit and enjoy yourself. If you have the right suit you will not notice the temp so much and can just enjoy your dives. I dive a 3mil shorty in 74 deg, and my good friend scubamama would be wearing a 3mil full with a 5 mil full over the top of that and a hood to boot! Everyone is differant.

FYI: My understanding is that the summer's warmer water brings with it the chance for stinging jellyfish. Our boat had Lycra "stinger suits" that they offered for protection.

I have only been in the winter, though (July) and we did in fact have some rough seas.

I, on the other hand, had nearly perfect weather and calm seas while diving the first week in July. I could not have asked for anything better. Like a couple of others on our boat, I brought a 2-piece 3 mm suit in anticipation of the colder water, but I never wore the bottom part, so I was essentially diving a shorty. The others who had the same getup only wore the pants.

If you tend to be cold, bring a hood. You will be surprised how much difference it will make.

I live in Cairns and dive nearly every weekend, July is the middle of our "Winter" and the water does get a little cold, saying that a 5mm wetsuit would keep you warm, the layout of Spirit of Freedom is great and you have side wind protection when you are getting your wetsuit on and off (the only time you normally get cold).

Depending in the trip you are planning the wind can get quite strong but saying that the cod hole trip (which may be better for you as you do not have alot of dives) would be quite calm as you stay within the Great Barrier Reef and close to the Reefs. The Osprey Reef trip does cross open ocean and is more advanced diving.

The cool thing about July is is Minke Whale season and if you are lucky you would be able to swim with the minke whales on the Cod Hole trip. We did the Cod Hole trip in Feb and did a write up about it on our blog - Spirit of Freedom Trip Review: 3 Day Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs it was an awsome trip.

let me know if you have any other questions would be happy to help.

Cnz Diver, thanks for the link to your blog. It sounds like what you are saying is that Feb/March is a better time weather and temperature wise than June when we are planning to go.

Hi hvrietsc,

Yes and no, in the middle of the year you may get better visability as the water is colder and clearer. I would say the best time of year would be around OCT NOV as the rain has not started yet, if you can get in before Coral Spawn that would be best.

If your question is "is it still worth diving in July" the answer "YES". Go and see Minke Whales.

Hi, i agree with the above. Ive been on liveaboards out to gbr and coral sea about 8 or so times at all different times of the year.

For weather, water temp, calm seas, sunny days on deck oct nov is your best bet but by no means guaranteed. But the minkes over july/aug are absolutely amazing!!

Oh and sea sickness, they have tabs on theboat, most people only tend to sufferon the first night if at all, then its usually all smiles the next morning.

You will love spirit and the trip!! Its amazing. The coral seais pretty special, if you do take that trip make sure you have your advanced open water if you dont already. Or do it on the boat!

MA:
But the minkes over july/aug are absolutely amazing!!

You will love spirit and the trip!! Its amazing. The coral seais pretty special, if you do take that trip make sure you have your advanced open water if you dont already. Or do it on the boat!

I'll say!!,I took these recently on Spirit a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

In terms of advanced certs or not, if you have done plenty of dives and are super comfortable, then the trip will not be a problem at all. I had about 65 dives SS advanced adventurer, but have dived in many challenging conditions before, so there wasn't a problem at all.

Wish I had brought my 7mm wetsuit tho, the 5mm i hired was ok, but if you do 5 dives a day at 25C it 'adds' up.

Sea conditions were excellent, with only a slight swell on the second day 0.5 -1m average, other than that it was soooooooooo good.

I usually get sea sick, but take tablets before you step on the boat and daily, as precaution.

Staff and other divers were friendly, so you'll make a lot of friends and good conversations all through the trip.

Feel free to ask more question and I'll help where I can.

-h

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom