What is the best time of year to visit the great barrier reef with spirit of freedom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah sep too!

Agree with hui's comments on Adavanced for minkes. I meant only for the coral sea trp, advanced is helpful, as many dives are deeper than 18m and spirit are strict on qualificatins and alowable depths. But stillplenty to see at 18 and many divers prefer it anyway.

Great photos hui, brought back some very happy memories, those whales come so close!!

To avoid confusion, I only did the 4 day'er so your basic OW and some experience is perfect. I guess I'm fortunate to dive in a wide variety of sea conditions, from extremely choppy, low vis, temperate and ripping currents in my short diving career(~80 dives since Feb '10).

Looking to head up that way again in a few weeks time to do the Coral Sea portion, the Melbourne weather is killing me.
Thinking of trying out the other liveaboard...decisions, decisions.

Looking to head up that way again in a few weeks time to do the Coral Sea portion, the Melbourne weather is killing me.
Thinking of trying out the other liveaboard...decisions, decisions.[/QUOTE]

Frostbite..... Stick with spririt! Pm me if you want to ask details on other boats. But they are all pretty good.

So sep,oct,nov sounds like the best time. I assume the later the higher the water temp. A diving friend of mine always wears 5mil, plus a 1mil skin even when diving 80+ degree water. He says he needs it after several days of diving. So I can only imagine what it would feel like at 75F for several days with a 5mil.

I was on the SoF a couple of weeks ago as well (Hey Hui!) and loved it (the 7 day trip). 74 was the coldest we saw on the entire time. My computer typically showed 75 or 76. I did all 26 dives in a 3mm and never got cold... But then again, I dive Cozumel regularly in just a rash guard, so I guess that depends on the person. There was very little to no current, with the exception of a couple of dives. The seas were a little rough overnight on the way to Lizard Island, and a little more rough overnight on the way back to the Ribbon Reefs. We did see a decent amount of rain though, so those seas may not have been normal. I specifically picked June b/c of several reasons... I'm ok with 75 degree water, it's the dry season (typically), minke whales, no stingers, and great visibility. But, different strokes for different folks.

I read stingers are really only a problem close to the coast, so no problem on the liveaboard.

All pretty much been said, but stingers are not usually a problem on the Ribbon Reef areas. Coastal waters are more at risk, and either way lycra suits are available as extra protection.

Doing the Advanced is a definite "should do" as it will not only raise your experience but also allow you to do the deeper dives (up to 30m / 100ft) Remember you don’t have to go this deep but a lot of the sites are pinnacles that you start deeper and spiral your way up. So if you don’t take the Advanced course you will be recommended on the boat to do the Deep Dive from this course as a minimum. About AUD$25 I think.

As for time of year, June to September is Minke Whale season as mentioned so the boat gets full very quickly. 5mm shorties are fine but get a 3mm vest with hood and it will make a world of difference. It’s all we use and we are used to the climate so it’s "cold" for us in "winter".

September is still cool water but the sea is calmer and surface temperature is nicer too (see here for an idea of temperatures land and water Cairns Dive Trips Visitor Information)

Feb is fine but remember it’s still hot and humid (love it!) and still end of cyclone season, so if you are prone to sea sickness you are more likely to get rough seas this time of year.

Personally I would stick to your original idea of June. Still warm and water nice and extremely good chances of Minke whales. Get a good wet suit (they have some long sleeves on board too), but consider getting the hood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom