What is the coolest thing you have seen underwater in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One experience was cool and a little different. A nurse shark was lying under a ledge and his eye was lined up with a hole in the ledge. I was able to get "eye to eye" (about two inches) from that weird eyeball. We played "who blinks first." I lost, of course.

Not to hog the board but this was kind of funny:

Several years ago my wife and I were on our boat snorkeling near Cardona. We came across a pod of 6-8 dolphins and one was very young. Maybe 4 feet long. My wife got in for a while and they stayed with us for quite a while. When the wife got out I got in with a camera that had a strobe. The dolphins were about 20 feet deep by now. I swam to the mom and the the baby and got the coolest shot of them with their heads together. Everything was cool until the strobe started to recharge and made that high pitched whiney sound. This freaked the mom out and she rushed me and slammed me with her chest. It totally surprised me (actually scared the poop out of me) and I flew to the surface all the time keeping my eyes on the mom. Unfortunatly I was right under the boat and just about knocked myself out when I hit it.

The coolest thing I saw was a seahorse and two batfish on the same dive. What made it really strange is that when asked by my divemaster what I wanted to see I predicted "a seahorse and two batfish" at which point , even Pedro, who is an amazing Divemaster even doubted it would happen. With such wonderful luck, I thought I would predict a seahorse, two batfish, manta ray and a whaleshark for the next dive.....it didn't happen. Oh well, it was worth a try !

Seeing my wife perform her Underwater Happy Dance the first time she found a splendid toadfish on her own followed closely by seeing the eagle ray squadron at Cantarell.

The coolest thing I saw was a seahorse and two batfish on the same dive. What made it really strange is that when asked by my divemaster what I wanted to see I predicted "a seahorse and two batfish" at which point , even Pedro, who is an amazing Divemaster even doubted it would happen. With such wonderful luck, I thought I would predict a seahorse, two batfish, manta ray and a whaleshark for the next dive.....it didn't happen. Oh well, it was worth a try !

Batfish are some of the stangest creatures down there. I love when they open their mouths and it's that brilliant red.

Which Pedro?

Herd of pilot whales. Got to snorkel with them for quite some time during surface interval.

Not to hog the board but this was kind of funny:

Several years ago my wife and I were on our boat snorkeling near Cardona. We came across a pod of 6-8 dolphins and one was very young. Maybe 4 feet long. My wife got in for a while and they stayed with us for quite a while. When the wife got out I got in with a camera that had a strobe. The dolphins were about 20 feet deep by now. I swam to the mom and the the baby and got the coolest shot of them with their heads together. Everything was cool until the strobe started to recharge and made that high pitched whiney sound. This freaked the mom out and she rushed me and slammed me with her chest. It totally surprised me (actually scared the poop out of me) and I flew to the surface all the time keeping my eyes on the mom. Unfortunatly I was right under the boat and just about knocked myself out when I hit it.
:lol:​
Now tell me about the 3 Playmates of Month...?
Pilot whales? I didn't know they came around Cozumel.
In the Sea of Cortez part maybe?

A marlin approaching on my safety stop was cool, but the best had to be the Eagle Ray repeatedly dive bombing the sand as our two groups lay there watching. He'd circle around and do it again. Got a few half decent pics somewhere. The current tried to push me into the lady next to me so I pushed up, rolled over and landed on the other side of her - and kept shooting.

I can't remember which site, but Pedro found for us a teeny-tiny baby octopus in the coral rubble. It couldn't have been much bigger than a thumbnail.

We had a cool eagle ray experience at Punta Tunich in March. Wasn't nearly as amazing as it jumping out of the water like an earlier poster but it was an awesome experience. It hung around, letting us check him out. It was quite mind blowing.

Seeing a star fish field while descending at Punta Sur was pretty cool. It really gave me that feeling like we were going to a different planet because they were all spread out over the sand at about 80 feet or so. I hadn't seen such a large expanse of them before.

Seeing a nurse shark trying to get a lobster (or something) under a coral overhang and hovering on the bottom about 3 feet from it was pretty wild. It was about a 6 or 7 foot shark and it was thrashing around trying to get some dinner.

The mention of dolphins and 30+ rays make me even more excited about spending more time on Cozumel! I can't even imagine seeing 30+ rays!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom