What is the cost of recompression?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what happens if you just dont pay in another country while in the hosptial. Do they put you in jail?

You will not be treated until you pay, you wont get your passport back and will not be able to leave the country.....

You will not be treated until you pay, you wont get your passport back and will not be able to leave the country.....

Erm. surely it would depend on the country!

I thought this was a joke at first but maybe is a serious post.

If so I would seriously doubt it, for one how are they gonna get hold of your passport? do you dive with it tucked into your wetsuit? No, it will be back in the hotel safe where nobody is getting hold of it.

It is highly unlikely that you will not be allowed to leave the country even if you do owe some hospital some money, what if you do not have it? Best they can hope is that you take the bill home with you and work out payment.

Unless of course you are planning on diving in North Korea? Maybe then you would be in trouble.

Last edited:
The total bill for a typical treatment -not including Physician's Fees- is around $4k (billed to your DAN Insurance of course); that's including Transportation by any County Department (i.g. Baywatch Paramedic Boat, LA Sheriff's or County Fire Dept. Helicopter, and United States Coast Guard; helicopter transport of the attending Physician on-call from the mainland to Catalina Island is included as well). The charges for just being evaluated without chamber treatment is just the typical standard bill for an Emergency Room visit at a County Hospital (again Physician's Fees billed separately).

BTW, if you use a private air transportation service from the Mainland like Mercy Medical Airlift, that can run about $2k itself, just to be helicoptered over to Catalina. . .

In Manado, North Sulawesi: 1 x Table 6, 2 x Table 5, plus doctor's fee: US$6000.00

(As of April 4, 2008)

And yes, from my own personal experience.......

In Taiwan unlimited use Table 6 or whatever you want ie skin therapy ect cost 400NT ($15US) for 2 months. The process is: walk in, take a chest xray, go to the sign up board at the chamber and look at the schedule/type of chamber ride available, print name and show up at the schedule time.

If you are a foreigner in Taiwan and injured diving and do not have a Taiwan national health card they probably will not charge you treatment.

If you're going to get bent, take up Australian citizenship and do it down here. Its covered by the public health system.

Not that this helps the OP :)

Ahh thanks froop. I wrote to my private health insurance company to ask if it was covered by them or the public system but they couldn't tell me. I had to send them the wikipedia link to diving health issues as they didn't know what 'diving accidents' were...

Does your Big Brother kick in & get you cheap gas, too???..........If so, what a deal........But I'll still stick with the best nation in the world & keep my Dan insurance going for 100 bucks a year...........

:rofl3: People like you just crack me up. So sad...

Hi, I know I am new around here so I may have this wrong, but should you not change your profile information to show that you have moved to Ireland now? It still says you are in the US.

Not of course that I blame you for moving, good choice really. I live in Australia now and kind of get what you mean about Big Brother, but nothing compared to the US heh? what with all that Patriot Act and all, must be a bummer, I take it that is why you left?

Anyway, glad you enjoying Ireland.

Peace.

:rofl3:

I thought this was a joke at first but maybe is a serious post.

If so I would seriously doubt it, for one how are they gonna get hold of your passport? do you dive with it tucked into your wetsuit? No, it will be back in the hotel safe where nobody is getting hold of it.

It is highly unlikely that you will not be allowed to leave the country even if you do owe some hospital some money, what if you do not have it? Best they can hope is that you take the bill home with you and work out payment.

Unless of course you are planning on diving in North Korea? Maybe then you would be in trouble.

My uncle got appendicitis in the US on a holiday when he was very young and got peritonitis and nearly died as the hospital refused to treat him as he was uninsured. :shakehead: Not sure if this is still the case as this was a few years back, but would not surprise me if some countries refused to recompress a diver if they did not pay upfront.

My uncle got appendicitis in the US on a holiday when he was very young and got peritonitis and nearly died as the hospital refused to treat him as he was uninsured. :shakehead: Not sure if this is still the case as this was a few years back, but would not surprise me if some countries refused to recompress a diver if they did not pay upfront.

Would not be surprised, not sure what countries it would apply to but can certainly see this being the case in the US. Would not dive in the US anyway without making sure I had full insurance cover. Most other countries would be a little more understanding I would imagine.

Ahh thanks froop. I wrote to my private health insurance company to ask if it was covered by them or the public system but they couldn't tell me. I had to send them the wikipedia link to diving health issues as they didn't know what 'diving accidents' were...

You might want to consider changing your insurance. Sounds like they'll give you the run around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom