What is the funniest/strangest item you have found underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some years ago, we were out diving on a wreck, and one of the guys was a police detective. There are numerous artifacts (1886) and he came up with a mysterious leather pouch. We opened it with great interest and inside was a bowl and a bag of weed that had been dropped in the water by one of the other divers on the boat back in 1970 something.

Night diving off boat at Channel Islands CA, I had lobsters darting all about in the kelp. On the bottom with not enough light to really tell what I was seeing at first, I though a huge animal was moving slowly with the shore surge. It was a sunken boat fender all covered with algae. It was one of the first night dives back in the 90's. Flying fish also topside was a hoot.

A while back I was diving on the wreck of the Chester Poling, which broke up and went down within sight of Glouscester Harbor in a storm in the 70's. It was an inshore oiler, a working boat, nothing fancy. I'd dived it several times (often pausing to blunt the sharp points of some stuff in the engine room with a handy rock), and there was really nothing in it but silt and the odd rotting boot.

So I went into the galley, and what did I find? A stack of cheap dishes on the counter! I imagined some new diver descending into the galley (which is actually in open water) and bringing up a few as though they were treasures from the Doria or something, and started laughing so hard I almost lost my reg. The captain knew they were there, and we had a good laugh about them.

A while back I was diving on the wreck of the Chester Poling, which broke up and went down within sight of Glouscester Harbor in a storm in the 70's. It was an inshore oiler, a working boat, nothing fancy. I'd dived it several times (often pausing to blunt the sharp points of some stuff in the engine room with a handy rock), and there was really nothing in it but silt and the odd rotting boot.

So I went into the galley, and what did I find? A stack of cheap dishes on the counter! I imagined some new diver descending into the galley (which is actually in open water) and bringing up a few as though they were treasures from the Doria or something, and started laughing so hard I almost lost my reg. The captain knew they were there, and we had a good laugh about them.
A friend of mine put some stuff in one of the protected shipwrecks (Ontario Province) here in the Great Lakes that was frequently being raided by unethical divers. It was stuff he would pick up at garage sales or "garbage pick". He wrote on the various items (in small writing) the comment that the holder of the item was a "dirt bag" (tougher terms used)...

.... a XXL woman's g-string.... :shocked:
200.gif

same goes for all the underwear being found. well, not so much the underwear but that uncomfortable drive back home without bottoms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom