What is the funniest/strangest item you have found underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is one of my worst fears - finding a body or part of one.
I just don't know how I would react if that happened to me.
What did you do? How did you feel?

how about a funny creature encounter.

I was diving with my roommates girlfriend who was a clasic barbie doll totaly hot blonde with very long blonde hair, i won't get to discriptive because this is a family space.

we where diving in just our bathing suits, she was in a little string bikini

ok so the stage is set.

we found a small octopus, and when we where playing with it suddenly it darted for Diane and attachjed itself to her breasts.
well she didn't like that, she indicats to me to get it off. [she did the same when i tried that move erlier]

so i am trying to pull this off her breasts and it is holding on to the strings of her bikini, well somehow the thing comes untied from around her neck and the Octopus wont let go

so here i am in this interesting situation grabing at my roommates breast wrestling with an octopus, then the octopus get smart and crawls in behind her head, between the tank valve and her head, all tangled up in her hair, still holding onto her bikini top.

so now i am removing her BCD, her bikini top, and reaching around running my hands through her hair as i press up against her. with the octopusses arms going everywhere you can imaging as it just did not want to let go of her [which i did not blame it]

well after removing her scuba gear and most of her clothes we finally got the little critter to let go of her and it swam off with her bikini top still clutched to tightly.

this was a bit of a predicurment as her boyfriend was sitting on the boat waiting for us to surface, and she had no top to wear.

well we where laughing so hard under water by now that it just didn't matter anymore, she put her BCD back on and we headed to the surface.

we tried explaining the whole story to my roommate but he was just not buying it, so i moved out of his place and moved in to hers [as a roommate] and we became great dive buddies for several years after that.

and to prevent this from happening again we often just left the bikini top, etc, on the boat so there would only be one octopus to contend with down there.

beleive it or not this is a true story.

barb once bubbled...
That is one of my worst fears - finding a body or part of one.
I just don't know how I would react if that happened to me.
What did you do? How did you feel?

to tell you how i felt you need to know that I am a firefighter and have been on search and reacue for many years, i have done several body recoveries and have delt with numerous casualties of auto accidents over the years.
but when you are going into this type of situation you have a game face on and you have been trained to deal with this stuff.

well on this dive i was with two friends and we where all doing our depest dive to date 350 feet, so there was some anxiety there. then we set our edn to 180 as we have done many 200 foot air dives without incedent. so we backed it off a little.

upon descending we had an expected bottom time of 12 minutes, when we ran into the guy we had not reached our final depth we spent a little time there discussing what we should do, raise him, leave him, etc. I went down and hovered about two feet abouve him and could make out that he was just a skeleten now so raising him was not an opption. we decided to leave him and send back a recovery team.

how i felt at this time was more narced than i had ever been, and uncomfortable narced, and got to thinking how easy it would be for me to be in that exact smae situation, right now, i couldn't get it out of my mind. it was the narcosis messing with me. i ran into this situation without my game face on and i was deep underwater with so many unknowns. it became scary, as we ascended, at about 250 feet the narcosis went away like a light switch being flipped and i then could reflect on all the thoughts that where going through my head down there, the doom, the fear, the uncomfortableness, was all a result of narcosis.
as we sat in deco i was wondering who he was.

what i found out later was my buddies in deco knew him and one even went to his funeral, so i can only imagine what they where thinking.

I now set my END no deeper than 130 and usualy have it closer to 100. I have since done more than a 100 dives deeper than 300 feet and have never experience the same effects.

I don't believe your story about the naked Barbie (I think you were narced and fantasizing). But just on the off chance that some of what you say is true I think that putting the moves on your roomates girlfriend is quite low.
:nono:

Now your next story is different. You had a hard decision to make. I think you made the right one - leave him for recovery. I'm impressed at how you kept it together. You're right you could easily have been a dead diver if you had tried a recovery at that time.
I don't dive deeper than recreational limits and I have been narced and had that creeped out feeling. It's hard to ignore and I had to exercise alot of willpower to not pannick. This only happened to me once and part of the problem was cold water and task loading.
Thanks for your stories - I enjoyed them. The barbie story made me laugh :D

the funny part of the Barbie story is that it did not start out as making a move on her, it started out as getting the octopus off of her. it turned into a little bonding experience quite unexpectedly.

then because of her boyfriends disbelief of the story, [as with yours] that led to further interaction. at this point all inecent.

then when he said i should move out, she let me move in with her [i think out of guilt]

only after we lived together for about a month did it becaome less than inocent.

it was just one of those unusual things

AquaTec once bubbled...
only after we lived together for about a month did it becaome less than inocent.

it was just one of those unusual things

In other words, you got to shack up in the Barbie dream house!
Oh.....sorry, I couldn't resist!:lol:

the finding of human remains is something that every tech/wreck diver should be prepared for (many Bahama Blue Holes still contain divers). *hit happens.

What to do? If fresh, lift bag, if old, report.

There's no good or easy answer. I appreciate you telling the story. Too often, when one tells a "less than nice" tale here, it just gets ignored cuz nobody has the balls to face the reality.

I once posted a story about a silt-out. I learned from that.

Tom

Pikachoo once bubbled...

That's pretty brave. Whenever I see fishing lures go by I get kind of nervous. I've thought about grabbing them... but the thought of a hook being set into my fingers if I don't grab it juuuuuust right makes me a little wary.:eek:ut:

I'm not sure what this has to do w/ finding a scuba tank. What are you referring to?

:all: OOps, I meant to quote caymaniac who posted right below you... when he was talking about grabbing that 10 year olds fishing lure as it went by him..:eek:

Looks like a couple decided to have a little fun on the ol' beach. I found a condom wrapper, opened of course, of the Trojan brand. I looked around for the condom, but failed to locate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom