What is the largest group you have been diving with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuvWarmH2O

Registered
Reaction score
On a recent dive trip without my usual dive buddy, I was on a boat with about 16 other divers (maybe 17), two dive masters, and two intern dive master trainees. I was shocked when we were not broken down into two groups. I asked, and was told we were going as one big group. At least 20 divers total in the group including DMs and trainees. Long story short, they tore *** around the reef and I got left by myself trying to keep up. There were so many people, nobody knew where anyone was. I thought groups of 8 max+DM were the norm. Any thoughts?

Largest boat I've been on had 22 "divers", 5 DMs, and the Captain. Approximately 15 of the "divers" were Discover Scuba folks, so we were in a group of 7 with a DM, and the Discover Scuba folks were in groups of about 4. Although the boat is well laid out and comfortable for a full load of divers with tons of space to hang out in, the Discover Scuba folks had zero boat sense and seemed like were like swarming bees. Heck, when we got up from our dive there wasn't a warm cookie to be had for ANY of the divers since the Discover Scuba folks snarfed them down (taking 2 or 3 instead of 1). Ironically, this seems to be a common event as the operator now includes instructions of taking ONE cookie in their briefing! <LOL>

Although we still dive with these guys sometimes, we don't do afternoon charters where there are Discover Scuba and/or cruise ship passengers. Even in talking with the DM's (many of whom we've known for years), they think that's an extremely smart move! ;-)

Although we've been on a large boat now and again, we've never been in a dive group of more than 8 with a DM. 20 is a crazy number for any DM to take on the responsibility for IMO.

on a recent liveaboard in the red sea we went around in a big 20 man team on the last dive. we swarmed under unsuspecting italian swimmers and let rip with dual regulator purging. needless to say they got a surprise when the water started boiling around them.

Oh, that's not that uncommon. Where was this?

DMs lead groups of 6 or 8 at Cozumel largely due to local park regulations, but many charters in North Carolina, Calf, Bermuda, Florida, Belize, and Roatan that I know of personally put only one DM into the water with a large group like you experienced, or none at all. Your profile doesn't say, but I presume that you are a certified diver. DMs are only required for divers who have less than the OW card, i.e. students, resort divers, the old Padi Basic Card.

Did you not have a buddy? I wonder why this remark...??

"....and I got left by myself trying to keep up.". :confused:

Kimball Chilcott:
on a recent liveaboard in the red sea we went around in a big 20 man team on the last dive. we swarmed under unsuspecting italian swimmers and let rip with dual regulator purging. needless to say they got a surprise when the water started boiling around them.
LOL... Best laugh I've had in a while. Great visual :D

I dive at the Flower Gardens in the Gulf. It is typical to put almost 30 people in together with the DM not in the water, but on the boat (an accepted option, taught in DM training). It is a less structured dive underwater, but very tight control of traffic in and out of the water is maintained.

In this case though, there are usually "dive leaders" that will "lead" smaller groups of people for newbies. Most of the people there have alot of experience with the dive and dive sites and will dive with a buddy without DM direct (in water) supervision.

In your case, it sounds like the true cattle boat. One large group, wow, must have seen lots of fishlife!:confined: I think I would speak up if more than 10 in a group off a DM lead dive. I have been in Cozumel Nite dives where groups co-mingled and man it is hard to know which boat is up.

Hang in there and just say moo.

I have been in Cozumel Nite dives where groups co-mingled and man it is hard to know which boat is up.
I was following a DM last weekend across the channel at Tortugas in a high speed drift to see turtels. Another group came thru us. Just about lost mine, but they were all in rented shorties, we were all in longs.

Ha ha ha, that's great.

I've been on some large boats with as many as 30 to 40 divers but thankfully they've always broken everyone up into groups of 4 to 6 based on experience level.

Even on our shore dives where we have as many as 20 divers out, we split up into groups of 4 or 5 and stage our entry so as to not mix together.

Interesting comments. Thanks for your input. My dive profile is about 50 dives over the past two years being certified. This dive was in Grand Cayman to about 70'. I just think I need to make sure I have my usual dive buddy with me always (no dive buddy=no dive). 2 years diving together 10 years married.

Even with only 50 or so dives under our belts, I have had too many cattle boats. I guess I'll pony up the extra $ for private charters from now on.

Safe, Fun Diving to all!

LuvWarmH2O:
Interesting comments. Thanks for your input. My dive profile is about 50 dives over the past two years being certified. This dive was in Grand Cayman to about 70'. I just think I need to make sure I have my usual dive buddy with me always (no dive buddy=no dive). 2 years diving together 10 years married.

Even with only 50 or so dives under our belts, I have had too many cattle boats. I guess I'll pony up the extra $ for private charters from now on.

Safe, Fun Diving to all!
Private charters? Cheaper to go on the reg charter and hire a prviate DM.

Or go to Cozumel where they have smaller groups.

Or learn more about working with boat pick buddies here on SB. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom