What is the lightest STA available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in search of a lightweight STA. I currently have the two piece STA from hammerhead scuba which supposadly weighs 2lbs. Combined with an aluminum backplate(another 2 pounds) I could actually still stand to lose a little more weight. My wing requires an STA so please don't suggest that I lose the STA.

So does anyone know what STAs are available that are lighter than 2lbs?

Thanks,
Jess

diverite makes/used to make an ABS STA, weighs almost nothing. FWIW I ordered one of these on accident- didn't notice it was an ABS STA and when I got the package the sticker on the bag showed a price of $28.32 despite the price of $42.80 they are charging online. A nice $14 mark-up...

Yea, I use the Dive Rite one when I dive singles. It's pretty light.

May have to call DR, don't see the ABS one on their website anymore?

I havn't been able to find the Diverite ABS STA online, anyone have a link to a place that sells them?

~Jess

Oxycheq's, which is availble through ScubaToys is just under 0.9#.

Splitlip:
Oxycheq's, which is availble through ScubaToys is just under 0.9#.
I am currently trying to decide between that and the ABS. Just found the ABS here: http://www.blueseaadventures.com/store/bcds/bcds_accessories.htm

ABS would be a little more versatile because I could stick with the SS cam bands or lose them depending on weight. Not sure how much of a difference those will make though. I would prefer the metal one though due to durability issues.

I can't need to lose very much weight, I am probably just being overly anal about all of this. Currently I am using a 2# aluminum BP and a 2# STA. I figure the SS cam straps and other misc stuff are probably 1 or 2# negative. So I have about 5 or 6# of weight. With a 3mm full suit and an aluminum 80 under 500psi I can still sink from the surface easily.

~Jess

JessH, That's where I bought mine (on accident) so just a heads up about the price thing. Sorry I forgot to post their web address!

Take a look:
oxy_STA.jpg

Positives:
- High quality stainless steel. It'll last forever.
- Low profile, places tank closer to back which is good for stability.
- Comes with wingnuts and bolts with square bases to fit the square holes on the STA so the wingnuts are easy to tighten (or the DSS thumbwheels I use instead).

Neutral:
- 0.9 lbs: perfect for some, too heavy or too light for others.

Negatives:
- only two sets of slots for cam straps, and the top slot was too high for my and my gf's preference, so we don't use it, we place the top cam strap just underneath the middle of the STA.

Back
Top Bottom