What is the most comfortable mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know that you have to try on a mask to be sure it fits. I have also read about mask squeeze and how to avoid it. I noticed at the end of Thursday's class that my face was uncomfortable after being underwater for almost two hours. Is this just something that I have to get used to? I am sure that the rental masks provided for training aren't top of the line.

I should mention that I have really high cheekbones (sunglasses always have to be small enough to not sit on them) and I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I know that just from experience that I think I would like the ones with side windows (this is probably not the right term, but hopefully you know what I mean) to help with periferial vision.

TIA

EFB--there is only ONE person who can really answer that question and thats YOU. Others can express their opinions from their personal experiences but what feels good to one person feels horrible for another.
BUT one suggestion I would make(from personal experience) Don't spend any money untill you have some time under your belt. You may be able to borrow a different mask for a dive just to see how you feel.
From what I have seen rental masks tend to be fairly robust and usually a brand that is as universal fit as possible.

Go to every dive shop in your area and try on every mask, I start with the most expensive since I usually wind up buying at that end 'cause I have terrible luck finding a cheap one that fits my face.

Another problem you might have is tighting the mask strap too tight, this will cause mask squeeze. If you have to tighten the strap a lot to stop it from leaking keep looking for the perfect mask.

Good Luck

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Did the mask leak? If it didn't maybe all you need to do is loosen it up a bit. The "top of the line" mask doesn't matter. What does matter if it fits and doesn't leak. Maybe you just have it too tight. The mask should fit and stay on your face without being really tight. The strap should be just tight enough to hold it in place, if the mask fits properly it doesn't need to be tight. Being too tight may even cause leaks.

The one that fits. Can be trial and error so hopefully you have a dive store which will allow you to try various masks in the pool. My current favorite is the Atomic Frameless Low Volume.

Dwayne

Any soft silicone mask that doesn't leak. As for specific mask ,you'll just have to try on and dive with a few. You may want start mask for smaller or more narrow faces. I dive an Atomic subdframe but in the smaller medium size since I have smaller face.

The one that fits! Fit, fit and fit are the prob. the first three most important things for a good working (no leaks or squeeze) mask! Price should not even come into play! (as far as comfort goes) It may take you some time to find one that fits your face, but you will have to try on the mask to be "comfortable" for you! Hope this helps.
Are you using the proper technique for fitting a mask?
See you topside! John

Did the mask leak? If it didn't maybe all you need to do is loosen it up a bit. The "top of the line" mask doesn't matter. What does matter if it fits and doesn't leak. Maybe you just have it too tight. The mask should fit and stay on your face without being really tight. The strap should be just tight enough to hold it in place, if the mask fits properly it doesn't need to be tight. Being too tight may even cause leaks.

Nope, it didn't leak..I never thought about adjusting the strap..thanks

The one that fits! Fit, fit and fit are the prob. the first three most important things for a good working (no leaks or squeeze) mask! Price should not even come into play! (as far as comfort goes) It may take you some time to find one that fits your face, but you will have to try on the mask to be "comfortable" for you! Hope this helps.
Are you using the proper technique for fitting a mask?
See you topside! John

Is that when you hold the mask up to your face and inhale through your nose to see if it stays when you remove your hands??

The seal on a mask is created by the fit, not by the strap -- my mask will stay on if the strap comes completely off my head (because it has) and that's how it should be. If that is the case, then the mask is resting only very gently on your face, and is not uncomfortable unless you fail to equalize it.

My test for mask fit is to put the mask on my face and push in gently with my fingertips, to expel some of the air in it. If the mask stays on my face when I release it, then the seal is good. (Note that this requires you be able to control whether you are breathing through your nose or not!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom