Question What is the viz right now when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arubabob1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was in Bonaire last Dec and the viz was not good at all for diving. Then I went back in Jan and Feb. It was better but still not great. Went back in July and Aug and it was still the same. I will spend Jan and Feb there. Anyone there now? How is the water temp and the viz? Thanks.

We were there in middle of this past July, and the vis was pretty poor by Bonaire standards. Was hoping it was just an abnormality. But based on your observations I'm more concerned than ever. The diver's life guy on here just did a surface interval video, and said in the beginning they would be doing a few of these since the vis had been so poor.

He may be a good source for current conditions.

Thread 'New Video A Diver's Life: Surface Interval Bonaire's Fontein' New Video A Diver's Life: Surface Interval Bonaire's Fontein

What, in meters/feet; good, very good, excellent, bad visibility for you in that location?
For us, it was hazy at 30-40 feet sometimes, the best was maybe 60 feet before it was really hazy. Typically, I would say 60 feet is the minimum

For us, it was hazy at 30-40 feet sometimes, the best was maybe 60 feet before it was really hazy. Typically, I would say 60 feet is the minimum

That's very crappy Viz.

I was in Bonaire last Dec and the viz was not good at all for diving. Then I went back in Jan and Feb. It was better but still not great. Went back in July and Aug and it was still the same. I will spend Jan and Feb there. Anyone there now? How is the water temp and the viz? Thanks.
Concur with arew and Scubadada's vis assessments. Maybe even a tad worse at times with the daily rainfall. That would be considered great clarity in a lot of places, but not so good for Bonaire.

Last year had the highest number of rainy days on record and it is on track to exceed that this year, which largely explains the murk:

The minimum temperature at depth declined this week to 79.5°F for the first time this season, down from 83° in October.

... Anyone there now? How is the water temp and the viz? Thanks.

I was on Bonaire the first week of December 2022, stayed at the Divi and dove with Divi Dive. To answer the OP's question - I felt the visibility on this trip was poor by Bonaire standards. The water temperature was fine, I saw a pretty much consistent 81 F regardless of depth.

It has been asked what good, bad, excellent visibility is for the location (which I interpreted as Bonaire), so my frame of reference in saying the visibility was poor is based on my past nine November and December diving experiences on Bonaire over the last 15 years.

Visibility was quite poor in the shallows, relatively clear for only the first 15 to 25 feet, then it quickly became hazy, made it difficult to find and then follow rays and squid. Similar conditions in the water over the reef but the visibility distance was extended out to the 40 to 60 foot range before significant haze set in. An example: Went down the middle mooring line on the Hilma Hooker dive this trip, couldn't see much of the ship at the surface and at depth still could not see a significant amount of the ship, on previous trip dives I could see the outline of the ship from the surface and at depth could clearly see a much greater amount of the ship. The visibility on Klein Bonaire dives was better at depth, could see out further before significant haze, but in the shallows the same haze from surface chop stirring up the sandy bottom as was present on the main island.

This year there was a persistent surface chop on the ocean, waves were constantly slapping up against the west facing shoreline. The diver boats were rocking at the dock, had to time your steps boarding and deboarding. First floor oceanfront units at the Divi often had ocean spray slash up onto their balcony, a bummer for divers that had hung their gear over the railing to dry.

I hadn't realized how much damage was done to Bonaire by the storms earlier in year 2022 which became Hurricanes Fiona and Ian. Didn't see much damage topside or at depth but much damage still evident along the shoreline, many resorts have damaged ladders and decks. Repairs are underway but many resorts have work-arounds in place at the moment.

The weather pattern during this trip was also different, the air was humid and there was rain almost every day. Gear didn't fully dry overnight so the previously absent hassle of donning a cool and damp wetsuit was introduced. The frequent rain has resulted in many large mud puddles in the roads around downtown Kralendijk, made it difficult for those on foot not to be splashed with dirty water. The island roads in general, and downtown Krelendijk in particular, were much more crowded than they were on past trips. And then there were the cruise ships, they are silting up the reef north and south of the pier.

Many of the dive masters said that the weather pattern has been 'strange' for the past several months, with more rain and rougher surface conditions. I feel the (relatively) long term rough ocean conditions have stirred up the shallows to the extent that the suspended sand particles from the shallows have now infiltrated the water column above the reef, resulting in the degraded visibility.

The above said I found the diving in warm and colorful Caribbean water to have been quite an enjoyable change from the cold and dark Cape Ann water.

A shout out to the crew at Divi Dive, they did a great job (as usual) despite being presented by challenges on both land and at sea.

Today on Bari/Buddy, once off the sand I could see a ~5' tarpon at 130' down or so... It's not perfect but it's fine. It was raining yesterday and last night on and off all the time.

So I am on the Island now and I have been to Bonaire 3 times in the last year and all 3 times, the viz was best of 60 ft. Thats terrible for Bonaire. But right now, I am seeing 80 to 90 ft viz. Now thats more normal!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom