what is this?? a puffer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
looking for some id help here everyone i put this picture in my gallery and titled it a big puffer fish , then i looked at it and thought ,well.... the little puffers i saw had the spikes on their side and so maybe it isnt , so if you can any help would be great, this fish was inside of wreck no#3 of the sabang wrecks in puerto gallera philippines and the dm was behind it and so to escape him it came rushing dirrectly at me, my strobe was not fireing,(bad sink cord) so for all of the pictures i took this is the only one that i got, as the strobe fired, anyway when the strobe went off it scared the big fish and it turned and charged the dm, he back finned as fast as he could and finnaly got out of the way and let the poor scared fish go on it way. thanks again for any help!! jim

I never saw that guy there Jim but I think he is some type of Puffer. I'll check when I go back in a couple weeks...:D

hmm....

well, that's not my neck of the ocean, but i don't think that fish is either
a puffer or a porcupine fish, though the "snout" does look puffer-like

that's my vote for what it's worth

Diver Dennis:
I never saw that guy there Jim but I think he is some type of Puffer. I'll check when I go back in a couple weeks...:D
sounds good dennis, thanks , this guy was pretty darn big and he seemed a bit aggresive as he really went after paul, but i think it was also scared as i was blocking the top hatch hole that it wanted to get to when the strobe fired and sent it into chasing paul, the only thing i could do was through my reg LMAO!!!

alcina:
I don't think he's a pocupine fish. He is in the class we deem "pufferfish" - Arothron sp
alcina, i have even looked through all of my books and cant find this guy anyplace in any of the books, i wish the other pics had come out but no strobe so it was very black in the ship, thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom