What is this about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I ordered some oil specifically marketed as breathing air compressor oil. When it arrived, their own breathing air compressor oil label was affixed over the original labeling. The original labeling was for Exxon XD-3 30 weight heavy duty diesel oil.

The tech support people at Exxon said that they did not make any oils approved for breathing compressor applications. They also said that since the organization relabeled their product that they had no legal responsibility for its misuse. They said that if I was concerned I could email them.

Comments?

Last edited:
Think about it! There is no such thing as breathing air oil! The first person to come out with that beauty should be forced to inspire oil vapor and then we can see how breathing compatible it is! Any oil lubricated compressor that has a failure in the separator system and/or filtration system, will pass oil down stream. Failure, includes auto drain systems malfunctioning, manual drain systems that the operator "forgets to operate" and filtration systems where filters are over run.

Craig

Yeah maybe but that doesn't mean we should just use just anything in our compressors, or walk into an autoparts store blindfolded when we need more. All oils even edible, cooking oils are bad to inhale, but that doesn't mean that some are not a lot worse than others. So it makes sense to use ones rated for breathing air purposes. Rated by the manufacturer, that is, not the guy with a stack of inkjet labels.

Though it is good to keep in mind that there's no oil that can compensate for bad separator and filter management.

Think about it! There is no such thing as breathing air oil! The first person to come out with that beauty should be forced to inspire oil vapor and then we can see how breathing compatible it is! Any oil lubricated compressor that has a failure in the separator system and/or filtration system, will pass oil down stream. Failure, includes auto drain systems malfunctioning, manual drain systems that the operator "forgets to operate" and filtration systems where filters are over run.

Craig

For years the Canadain Navy used Tromar-357, a steam turbine oil in all it's high pressure BA compressors at the fleat diving unit. This oil stopped being produced back in the 90's now it uses Esso-compressor oil 122 for it's BA compressors. This is a mineral oil that can be used in any piston compressor, it is not labeled Breathing Air Compressor Oil. It also has a very strong sulphur smell to it.
Bauer manufatures nitrogin generators that uses a modified mariner compressor, they recommend using any synthetic, 5-40 deisel oil in the compressors both the high and the low pressure compressor.
So what makes an oil suitable for use in a BA compressor.
- it must lubricate the compressor sufficiantly without causing foaming.
- it must have a flash point high enouph to prevent the oil from smoking during normal opperation
and that's about it.
If a supplier chooses an oil to use and re-labels it as BA comp. oil he/she will assume all liablity for any personal injuries caused by the oil providing they can not prove the purification system was faulty.
I know of no manufacturer even Bauer that makes thier oun oil.
ZDD

Yeah maybe but that doesn't mean we should just use just anything in our compressors, or walk into an autoparts store blindfolded when we need more. All oils even edible, cooking oils are bad to inhale, but that doesn't mean that some are not a lot worse than others. So it makes sense to use ones rated for breathing air purposes. Rated by the manufacturer, that is, not the guy with a stack of inkjet labels.

Though it is good to keep in mind that there's no oil that can compensate for bad separator and filter management.

Never suggested they should use "any old oil". Use that which is recommended by the manufacturer. If it doesn't come (New) with synthetic, change to it as soon as the breakin period is over. If you are filling bottles for others (even your own that you are lending), it would be in your best interest to follow ALL manufacturers recommended maintainence proceedures, just in case!:wink: That is unless you have great liability insurance or deeeeeep pockets.:D

You can easily verify if the oil is that which the manufacturer is recommending, no matter what the label says, by requesting a MSDS from the supplier. These usually are directly produced by the OEM, even if the supplier has their name on the sheet. They can also be compared to the compressor manufacturer supplied MSDS to verify. An example, Bauer is currently recommending Chemlube 800 as a synthetic. This stuff is repackaged under many different labels, but the MSDS will verify that it has the same make up when compared to Ultrachem's MSDS for the 800.

Hey Vance, I would love to actually see that "Breathing Air" claim by the OEM, but doubt any would make it. Marketing is a wonderful thing!

Craig

Last edited:
What about USDA H1/2 rated oil or food grade oil? My limited understanding is that these oils are used in the food industry? Incidental contact with food is not poisonous.

What about USDA H1/2 rated oil or food grade oil? My limited understanding is that these oils are used in the food industry? Incidental contact with food is not poisonous.

If you check with the compressor manufacturer and they give you an approval in writing, then sure go for it. We aren't talking about incidental contact, we are talking about inspiration into the lungs. Ever drank a quart of water at once? No ill effects? Now try inspiring just a teaspoon of water. :wink:

From the link in your signature, it seems you run a charter service. Personally, I would be very cautious in deviating from manufacturers recommendations.

Craig

For years the Canadain Navy used Tromar-357, a steam turbine oil in all it's high pressure BA compressors at the fleat diving unit. This oil stopped being produced back in the 90's now it uses Esso-compressor oil 122 for it's BA compressors. This is a mineral oil that can be used in any piston compressor, it is not labeled Breathing Air Compressor Oil. It also has a very strong sulphur smell to it.
Bauer manufatures nitrogin generators that uses a modified mariner compressor, they recommend using any synthetic, 5-40 deisel oil in the compressors both the high and the low pressure compressor.
So what makes an oil suitable for use in a BA compressor.
- it must lubricate the compressor sufficiantly without causing foaming.
- it must have a flash point high enouph to prevent the oil from smoking during normal opperation
and that's about it.
If a supplier chooses an oil to use and re-labels it as BA comp. oil he/she will assume all liablity for any personal injuries caused by the oil providing they can not prove the purification system was faulty.
I know of no manufacturer even Bauer that makes thier oun oil.
ZDD

You might want to inform your superiors that the Esso Compressor oil 122 is not approved for breathing air applications by Esso/Imperial Oil and that any organization concerned with the health and safety of its employees should undertake adequate due diligence to ensure the oil used is approved for such applications by both the compressor and oil manufacturer.

Bauer USA loads the trimellitate ester synthetic Ultrachem Chemlube 800 into all its new compressors and there is no longer any need to break in a new machine with a mineral oil. This oil was designed as an OEM oil after concerns were raised about phthalate esters in some of the other synthetics on the markets. These trimellitate esters have excellent thermal stability but most importantly from a breathing air application standpoint Ultrachem has limited the additives in the finished oil in order to keep the potential respiratory toxicity to a minimum.

Companies which have done research into BA oils look at both the compressor performance factors as well as the toxicology of the gaseous vapors which may breakthrough the charcoal bed and of the oil mist which may condense downstream in storage banks if the oil's volatility is high.

Have a look here under Precautions in the bold print. I'd look at switching away from the mineral Esso oil to one of the Ultrachem ester synthetics.
http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENINDESCompressor_Oil.pdf

Last edited:
I ordered some oil specifically marketed as breathing air compressor oil. When it arrived, their own breathing air compressor oil label was affixed over the original labeling. The original labeling was for Exxon XD-3 30 weight heavy duty diesel oil.

The tech support people at Exxon said that they did not make any oils approved for breathing compressor applications. They also said that since the organization relabeled their product that they had no legal responsibility for its misuse. They said that if I was concerned I could email them.

Comments?

I would not use any oil where the oil manufacturer specifically states that the oil should not be used for breathing air applications. In particular diesel motor oils are full of additives which are designed to protect the longevity of the oil in "internal combustion engines". Many of these additives have high respiratory toxicity and should not be used in a breathing air compressors not to mention the mineral base oils often have high concentrations of narcotic aromatics such as ethyl benzene, xylene, and toluene.

Oils specifically chosen for breathing air applications have lower concentrations of aromatics and fewer additives resulting in fewer gaseous vapors sitting above the oil which must be removed by the activated charcoal.

All the diesel motor oils contain an anti-wear additive known as ZDDP which under the right compressor conditions can produce hydrogen sulfide which is not removed by the standard charcoal found in most purifiers.

If you really must use a mineral oil in the compressor I'd have a look at Shell Corena P150 mineral which Bauer USA rebrands as oil #26. It has been approved by Bauer and while it has some toxicology issues the oil certainly is better than a diesel motor oil.

Back
Top Bottom