What is this about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not use any oil where the oil manufacturer specifically states that the oil should not be used for breathing air applications. In particular diesel motor oils are full of additives which are designed to protect the longevity of the oil in "internal combustion engines". Many of these additives have high respiratory toxicity and should not be used in a breathing air compressors not to mention the mineral base oils often have high concentrations of narcotic aromatics such as ethyl benzene, xylene, and toluene.

Oils specifically chosen for breathing air applications have lower concentrations of aromatics and fewer additives resulting in fewer gaseous vapors sitting above the oil which must be removed by the activated charcoal.

All the diesel motor oils contain an anti-wear additive known as ZDDP which under the right compressor conditions can produce hydrogen sulfide which is not removed by the standard charcoal found in most purifiers.

If you really must use a mineral oil in the compressor I'd have a look at Shell Corena P150 mineral which Bauer USA rebrands as oil #26. It has been approved by Bauer and while it has some toxicology issues the oil certainly is better than a diesel motor oil.

Thanks Swamp Diver, this is good info. Use the motor oil if you are running a paint ball opperation but for BA aps stick with what you know is good. I use Chemlub 800 and umnilub for nitrox. Break-in oil is Esso compressor oil-122 because I know the Nave has tested and approved it.

Regarding the Exxon XD-3 oil. This is from a Bauer Compressor memo:

"Engine oil for both gas and diesel engines will be Exxon XD-3 (Bauer oil 0025). This product is designed for engine use (my emphasis), and has sufficient additives for that purpose."

Bauer is selling this oil for use in its IC engines used to drive portable compressors. It should not be used for breathing air applications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom