What is your favorite bag / luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zed

Registered
Reaction score
What is your favorite bag / luggage? I was thinking of getting a AKONA SHERWOOD BOAT MESH ROLLER. I have a AERIS TRAVEL ROLLER BAG and it is terrible. It does not have an extention handel so it is very hard to move around airports. It always bangs into your legs as you walk with it. The fin pocket is also a little too small.

I got the GatorMax Roller bag last year.

It's a roller bag that has one big huge pocket and a side fin pocket. It has an extention handle (plus a regular handle). hard bottom, nice wheels, heavy duty stitching and zippers. The fabric is tough and the corners are all "hardened" from wear. It also has "compression straps to tighten down the load on the main bag and the side fin pocket also uses zippers to compress/tighten the fin pocket down also.

The "front pockets" on Akonas and Ammor bags are useless in my opinion because when you travel by plane, anything you put in them gets crushed by the other luggage thrown on by the airline crew.

As for the fin pocket, I put a huge set of Cressi fins in it and it still has room to compress down. (since you said your fin pocket was too small).

One other nice thing, it doesn't have "Dive Logos" all over it which doesn't say "steal me" to baggage crews at the airport, etc...

One of the reasons I went with this bag was the large huge central pocket on it. When I go on a trip I typically carry at least two wetsuits plus snorkle fins for me and my wife (who doesn't dive). I also like to be able to throw in some beach towels, etc. Well this bag will handle that all. I've also found it usefull for other trips where I needed a large roller equipment bag.

I've used this as a boat bag before, but also carry a smaller mesh bag to carry stuff to the boat.

Anyway.... If you want to look at this. Here is where I bought it
http://www.divesports.com/mall/scubamax_bag_BG702.asp

BTW... they've got the Akona Mesh Boat bag you were talking about for $96 also.

Zed:
What is your favorite bag / luggage? I was thinking of getting a AKONA SHERWOOD BOAT MESH ROLLER. I have a AERIS TRAVEL ROLLER BAG and it is terrible. It does not have an extention handel so it is very hard to move around airports. It always bangs into your legs as you walk with it. The fin pocket is also a little too small.

I have a large Samsonite Hard Case that is excellent for dive equipment. It has a nice extension handle and it is easy to travel with plus there is not material in it that will get wet....

Zed:

Most "dive" luggage is kinda cheap and does not hold up well. My favorite is the XL rolling duffel made by Patagonia. One huge compartment, high quality wheels and holds up great. Downside is it is expensive. Hiking stores generally carry better "dive" luggage than dive stores.

Samsonite 29" F-lite hardside for check-in. Legal size, Although hardsided, it weighs a bit less than 10 pounds. Total loaded weight is right around 50 pounds. Bright blue so it's easy to spot in baggage claim. There is a more common 31" F-lite Samsonite that isn't strictly legal but generally gets by. Similar to the older "Oyster" line of Samsonite suitcases, except that it is a little fatter (more space for the same sum of HxWxL) and has an extension handle for easier rolling. It's just a regular old suitcase that doesn't scream "expensive dive or photo gear inside".

For carrying stuff to the boat I prefer a generic 30" non-wheeled duffle with plastic zippers from Target. 1 small zippered side pocket. About $25. Everything fits nicely except my BCD, which I just wear.

Charlie

I purchase a Travel-Lok Summit by Deep See about a year ago. Large bag, wide rollers, long handle for mounting reg bag. Lots of room for all my gear and then some. About as big in cu. in. and dimensions an airline will handle without a extra charge. Been through the airline grist mill a few times with no signs of wear. Don't ask about boat wear. I leave it in my hotel room and pack a mesh bag for the boat.

mike_s:
I got the GatorMax Roller bag last year.

It's a roller bag that has one big huge pocket and a side fin pocket. It has an extention handle (plus a regular handle). hard bottom, nice wheels, heavy duty stitching and zippers. The fabric is tough and the corners are all "hardened" from wear. It also has "compression straps to tighten down the load on the main bag and the side fin pocket also uses zippers to compress/tighten the fin pocket down also.

The "front pockets" on Akonas and Ammor bags are useless in my opinion because when you travel by plane, anything you put in them gets crushed by the other luggage thrown on by the airline crew.

As for the fin pocket, I put a huge set of Cressi fins in it and it still has room to compress down. (since you said your fin pocket was too small).

One other nice thing, it doesn't have "Dive Logos" all over it which doesn't say "steal me" to baggage crews at the airport, etc...

One of the reasons I went with this bag was the large huge central pocket on it. When I go on a trip I typically carry at least two wetsuits plus snorkle fins for me and my wife (who doesn't dive). I also like to be able to throw in some beach towels, etc. Well this bag will handle that all. I've also found it usefull for other trips where I needed a large roller equipment bag.

I've used this as a boat bag before, but also carry a smaller mesh bag to carry stuff to the boat.

Anyway.... If you want to look at this. Here is where I bought it
http://www.divesports.com/mall/scubamax_bag_BG702.asp

BTW... they've got the Akona Mesh Boat bag you were talking about for $96 also.

Mike -

Is the GatorPac Roller large enough for a BC also?

Jay

Charlie99:
Samsonite 29" F-lite hardside for check-in. Legal size, Although hardsided, it weighs a bit less than 10 pounds. Total loaded weight is right around 50 pounds. Bright blue so it's easy to spot in baggage claim. There is a more common 31" F-lite Samsonite that isn't strictly legal but generally gets by. Similar to the older "Oyster" line of Samsonite suitcases, except that it is a little fatter (more space for the same sum of HxWxL) and has an extension handle for easier rolling. It's just a regular old suitcase that doesn't scream "expensive dive or photo gear inside".

For carrying stuff to the boat I prefer a generic 30" non-wheeled duffle with plastic zippers from Target. 1 small zippered side pocket. About $25. Everything fits nicely except my BCD, which I just wear.

Charlie

Could not find the 29" F-Lite only found the 31"
http://www.1800luggage.com/category-category_id/305

Any links to the 29" :)

For wet/ dry duffel I really like my Stahlsac. I've loaded it with 50 lbs of gear repeatedly without worries. Awesome product that takes a beating and asks for more.
http://www.stahlsac.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom