What is your favorite bag / luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
For wet/ dry duffel I really like my Stahlsac. I've loaded it with 50 lbs of gear repeatedly without worries. Awesome product that takes a beating and asks for more.
http://www.stahlsac.com/

I'm thinking of getting either the Stahlsac wet/dry duffel or the cargo duffel bag. Any reason you preferred one over the other? The Stahlsacs do look bulletproof.

WD

I picked up a 26" Travelpro suitcase on ebay, for use on the airlines. It matches the rest of my luggage and makes it on the "legal" size, rolls easy, takes abuse, and just looks like another piece of luggage to the airlines and anyone else. More than enough room for all my gear, including my Atomic Split Fins. I pack a mesh bag for on the boat.

Frank

Guys, whatever you do don't try to take those hard-sided bags on a liveaboard boat. They will really frown at you. There is very little storage aboard and they only like soft-sided bags. Trust me on this......soft bags are a must!!

It depends on the dive site.

If you are going to a beach dive that requires a long walk from you car, I prefer the pelican 1660. It is large enough to carry all of your goodies, provides maximum protection from the elements, it is even waterproof. Not to mention, you can purchase the meshed storage area for the cover/lid and the locks to keep your gear locked while you’re diving. I actually carry my tank in the case.

With all of that said, I have seen the pelican 1660 have problems with the axles slipping and melting the wheels. Fortunately, I have not had the problem and I have been using my 1660 for about a year.

Keep in mind that Pelican products offer a lifetime guarantee.

If you are traveling to a remote site, I would consider the pelican 1610 or the traditional soft bags (Akona, XSScuba, Stahlsac, etc…).

I use the Stahlsac for my regulator bag and it is awesome. It has room for two regulators and really is designed well.

Just my thoughts.

Zed:
What is your favorite bag / luggage? I was thinking of getting a AKONA SHERWOOD BOAT MESH ROLLER. I have a AERIS TRAVEL ROLLER BAG and it is terrible. It does not have an extention handel so it is very hard to move around airports. It always bangs into your legs as you walk with it. The fin pocket is also a little too small.

I use a oversize roller bag (with the large wheels, T.J. Max $50) to carry the essential while being a traveling diver. I also take a Stahlsac Regulator Bag for two sets of regs, camera gear and computer. The Stahlsac is a always carried onboard, the large hard traveler is checked and if packed correctly protects all the essentials with giving away it is a scuba bag. Works for me.

I have a large Samsonite Hard Case that is excellent for dive equipment. It has a nice extension handle and it is easy to travel with plus there is not material in it that will get wet....

I have to second this.
I've had a couple of purpose made dive bags over the years and they never last, my Samsonite has been to hell and back and around 50 dive trips and stands up to whatever is thrown at it. Plus, it doesn't scream "expensive stealable stuff" quite the same as a divebag does.

Guys, whatever you do don't try to take those hard-sided bags on a liveaboard boat. They will really frown at you. There is very little storage aboard and they only like soft-sided bags. Trust me on this......soft bags are a must!!

Trust me, liveaboards geared to uw photographers will never have a problem with hard sided bags.

Tumi luggage is the best I have used. I have a Hartmann bag I used for quick overnights, I have a carry on TravelPro Platimum bag that has held up nicely for many many trips over the years, and I have a matching TravelPro Platinum large suiter for when I will be gone a week or more. All terrific luggage. I have no dive specific luggage yet, only a mesh carry bag. I have been looking at the Akona stuff, but it doesn't seem super robust. I may look into some hiking bags instead.

jpomerantz:
Mike -

Is the GatorPac Roller large enough for a BC also?

Jay

Sorry for the late reply to this question Jay. I didn't notice it earlier.

Anyway. Yes it's large enough for a BC also.
Typically in this bag I take my BC, two wetsuits, regular fins, snorkle fins for me and my wife, 2 masks, dive lights, booties, misc dive gear, regulator, beach towels, etc.
That's one of the reasons I bought it, because I needed to be able to take mine and my wifes snorkle fins. (She doesn't dive, but likes me to take her snorkle gear on trips).

I cram it all in there. It holds it all. It's got a buckle/compression strap to hold it all tight.

The extendable handle makes rolling it through the airport very easy.

One of the other features I like is that it doesn't have dive-logos all over it. So it doesn't say "Steal me" to airport workers to make them think theres scuba gear in it.

hope that helps.

-mike

Back
Top Bottom