What is your favorite Bay Islands dive story!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK as the weather warms up here in West By Gawd Virginia I'm starting to seriously jones for some quality Bay Island time. To keep me from going into DTs I thought it would be really neat to hear your fave Bay Islands dive tale. What the funniest/coolest/most amazing/shocking or scary dive experience that you had in your trip/s, or maybe you dove with someone famous. Tell us about it and quell my thirst for a few more months.

I know this one about a guy from West Virginia who came to SB quite a few months back and was all full of all sorts of wide-ranging questions about The Bay Islands and Utila.

Now, when people ask about Utila, I will likely send them to ask him!

Thanks, Robertcrockett- you're one of the rare ones that sticks around to help others!

But for now... back to fish stories!

I've got a good one. For some reason, I used to dive with my black pearl earrings all the time. For some reason it just seemed to me like the thing to do...they belonged in the ocean after all :cool2:

One day after a dive at Anka's Place someone on the boat commented about my new style of wearing only one earring...uh oh! Somehow during the dive I had lost one :shocked2:

At first I considered trying to start a new single earring trend, but quickly figured out that wasn't going to be a big hit. The solution came to me almost immediately...we would give my other earring a proper burial at sea. The most appropriate place was of course at Tulio's memorial cross at 40 ft. Point. (South side regulars will know the spot) Since the other groups on our boat didn't know the deal, we secretly planned the event and carried it out at the end of our dive. While nobody was watching our divemaster Darren and Hank (cajuncrudiver) and I went over to the cross and permanently mounted the gold and black pearl earring right on top. We had a brief moment of prayer and then all high-fived under water! It was a special moment.

Apparently we started a trend, because when we went back a few days later, someone had hung a necklace around the cross :D

I have a couple of favorite stories.............

My 1st live a board was the Bay Island Aggressor - great trip - great boat/crew and diving!
The first time I ever saw a "herd" (squadron??) of squid was in the Bay Islands - what a sight!
and............I got engaged there in 2007. :)

I love the diving there - and the people are always so very friendly!

Squidlets in a group, believe it or not, for a "Jet" of Squid

I guess my neatest experience was swimming though the "whiteout" of Comb Jellies. Where on a dive we suddenly found our self in a virtual cloud of Combs. Couldn't see the wall, the surface, nothing but white for at least 5-6 minutes or more. LOL they were plastered all over my mask and face and the vis went to zero like a silt out situation. It didn't bother me but all I could think about were all those petry dishes in microbiology classes and this crazy, creepy and beautiful...macrocosm I now found myself in. I couldn't help but think...great!..I'm in somebodies petry dish.

And even if you have no Peanut Butter, a mess of Jellyfish is called "a Smack".

A fond memory I have of Roatan is meeting an 81 year old diver and listening to his decades of diving stories from around the world. Only a little over 41 years until I catch up to where he is now! Something tells me he has more dives in him yet. Go George!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom