What is YOUR opinion...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Ferrari, I don't know, Oceanic has some high performance servo assisted designs. The Mares proton is a great reg.
The Pinto product line is just about anything made by er--gag--cough--gags---gag---cough---Tusa. N

Agree with rescuediver009 the Titan Lx is a great reg at a great price. Overall work of breathing tends to be a little better than Scubapro and Zeagle's. Overall work of breathing is between 0.79-0.85 for the Titan LX depending on who tunes it.To put it in perpective Scubapro's S600/MK25 has a 0.89 overall work of breathing, Apex ATX 200 has 0.95, Atomic M1 has 1.03. To put it in even more of a perpective these numbers are not noticeable in real world use. So the $600.00-$800.00 regs perform almost as well a $300.00 reg. Why? Old proven design.

Don't limit your choices on the numbers game alone. Go with a brand that you can get serviced close to home, as well as on an island somewhere. Also some people like the lifetime parts warranty, and this to some divers is a big factor. Now if the regulators parts kits cost 5-10 dollars the warranty is no big deal, but an added cost. Good Luck!!!

P.S. Oceanic does make some great affordable regulators. See link below where Oceanic Alpha 7 beats some of the very best!

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1202regtest2.htm

Hi-
me again...
What is the opinion on the Dacor Eagle Regulator. I was looking at the below package from scubatoys. Is this very beginner or just fine for someone who will probably only dive once a year in the Carrib. and Mexico.

Dacor Talon BC and Dacor Eagle Regulator Package

Everything you need for less that $600.00! And it's not the "cheap" stuff either!

Your BC will be the Dacor Talon. Along with lots of special features the exterior of the inflatable bag is made of Duro-skin, a product of Cordura which guarantees unbeatable resistance against abrasion, combined with an unprecedented lightness. And it really is a very comfortable BC!
The Regulator will be the Dacor Eagle. First and second stage. First stage is a piston design and the second stage has the Dacor DFC system (Dynamic Flw Control) which guarantees a high-quality and accurate regulation of the air flow.
Next is your Dacor Viper Octo This octo breathes right side up or upside down. No need to have to worry if your buddy put it in his mouth right when he accidentally ran out of air!
Then your console will be the Aeris Analog Gauge. This is the best 2 gauge analog product out there, and to top it off it is super inexpensive. But don't forget you always have options...and for just a little more you can upgrade your gauge to the Aeris Atmos 1 two gauge computer. Or even one step further, and back to the Dacor product, jump to Nitrox with the Dacor Darwin

Priced at $589.

Can I do better?

Oceanic, by design will let water enter the exhaust valve if you decide to go upside down, & the Omega II's breathe wet. Not my choice for a regulator.

Do a search for "Dacor" and you will find some threads explaining why many divers will not buy ANYTHING from Dacor. IMHO the Apeks T20 is the best deal going in regulators. Same high performance as a top of the line, Class A regulator, just without the coldwater features. steve

Apeks At20. Wont find a better reg for the price.

Nemrod:
The Pinto product line is just about anything made by er--gag--cough--gags---gag---cough---Tusa. N
LOL, this IMO is equipment elitism.
I have dove on TUSA regs for years. Yea TUSA of old is CRAP but their really releasing good regs now days. My last TUSA reg was a RS-240 and it was a great reg. Didn't have one complaint on it and I have dove all kinds of regs from budget to $1200 units. Scuba Labs tested the RS-240 and it rated up near the top in all of their tests. I now have a TUSA RS-350. Although I haven't dove with it yet I have seen the 1st stage design and it's a well built, well constructed design. I know their are better units but it's ignorant to bang on their newer regs. Theirs absolutely nothing wrong with them, they breath well at depth, are reliable, well designed, and are reasonably priced units. Especially for somebody who is new to the sport.
Note that the Oceanic regs in this class have as many issues if not more mentioned than the TUSA reg. I run an Oceanic Versa Pro 2.0 and a Oceanic mask so I have no beef with them
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/best_new_regs/5/
scubalabs.com:
With some of the highest in-water scores in its price class, the RS240 breathes dry and smoothly in all positions. The second stage has a swivel, an efficient purge system and a resistance knob with 10 positive-click settings. On the simulator, the reg delivered very good work of breathing at the initial RMV/depth. It is sensitive to lower supply pressures, however, so it doesn't offer as much reserve capacity as other regs in its price class. Within the bounds of recreational diving, this is a capable regulator.
The cheaper RS-230 also scores well in it's price group
Overall Test Results:
Subjective: Good
Simulator: Good to very good

Strengths: Easy breather in all positions. Dry. Comfortable. Good purge. Ten-position adjustment knob.

Weaknesses: None.

OK I know this blows out of the water (no pun intended) my budget I said in the earlier post but what is the opinion of the Scubapro MK25/G250HP ? I also was told it is used by Special Forces, think thats true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom