What is your vis like this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas

Contributor
Reaction score
Expat Floridian travelling in the Land of Eternal
# of dives
500 - 999
OahuDiver:
Dove it last month, very little growth, very few fish... kinda boring, only interesting thing was was that there was a frogfish on each mast, and one good size eel on the front winch assembly.

Unless you just want a deep dive, 97', I personnally would not waste the air.

Mala Pier is an outstanding shore/boat dive in Lahaina, whitetips, frogfish, eels, cowries, u-name-its, 1000's of nooks and crannies...

What is your vis like this time of year around the Hawaiian Islands? And what are the water temps currently?

I have always found that a 3mm full suit together with a drysuit hood and ordinary short booties are fine for most chilly warm water sites in the 70s. Would that be enough now for Hawaii right now?

It all depends on the ocean and the weather, but our average vis is about 70-80' ...then we have days where there is run off and it can go down to 50 or below. THEN there are those fantastic days where we have 100-150' vis :D

Wet suit is a personal preference. I get by with a 3mm full suit (hood for my hair) and full booties, but I have natural insulation. A friend of mine is very slim and she wears a 5-6-7 suit.

justleesa:
It all depends on the ocean and the weather, but our average vis is about 70-80' ...then we have days where there is run off and it can go down to 50 or below. THEN there are those fantastic days where we have 100-150' vis :D

Wet suit is a personal preference. I get by with a 3mm full suit (hood for my hair) and full booties, but I have natural insulation. A friend of mine is very slim and she wears a 5-6-7 suit.

Thanks! I have lots of natural insulation too, so 3mm with hood and booties should be fine for me then. That worked well in the Aegean, which was at 75 F. I cannot imagine Hawaii getting lower than 75 F.

The water should be around 75 right now, so if you were fine before, you'll likely be fine now. Personally I wouldn't wear anything less than a 5mm full suit, year around in Hawaii...which is what I do! :D

Yesterday I was getting 78* surface, 77* on the bottom at 40' here on Maui. Visibility can vary a LOT. Today I cancelled my tours due to high seas. The viz would have been terrible, in the 5' to 10' range. It looked like Liquid Sand out there. They say the South Swell Advisory has been cancelled but it looks like it's still rolling in to me.

Generally speaking, the further you go from shore, the better the viz will be.

Did I fail to mention I'm a boat diver? :rofl3:

couple hundred yards off shore today vis varied from 30' -50' ... Wasn't the best of days, but definitely diveable.

Usually the same area is in the 50-80 range.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I wear a 5 mil full suit for any dive over 30 minutes long... under that and swim trunks seem to be sufficient for me :)

DiveMaven:
The water should be around 75 right now, so if you were fine before, you'll likely be fine now. Personally I wouldn't wear anything less than a 5mm full suit, year around in Hawaii...which is what I do! :D

Yes, 75 F was perfect last time, for me, for a 3mm and hood. I think I would be too hot in a 5mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom