What kind of Scorpionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gittannor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
While diving (day) in Dauin, in the Philippines i saw and photographed a small (4cm/1,5inch) black fish on a sandy slope at ap 10 meters. The knowledgeable guides had not seen it before and could not name it. It lookes like a Scorpionfish, but what kind? Would appreciate if someone could give me an answer

Attachments

• 1204020100312071034.jpg
    1204020100312071034.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 296
Waspfish? Doesn't the doral fin orginating on top of the head?

You are thinking of the Cockatoo & Spiny waspfish, genus Ablabys.
Also those additional pics pretty much rule out genus Paracentropogon I think...

There are a few others, genus Richardsonichthys and Tetraroge that the dorsal is slightly further back. The fish does resemble a scorpionfish, however those big ridges on the cheek are very common on stingfish and waspfish. I ruled out stingfish, because they have modified pectoral fins, and your fish does not.

I can't find any photo images online for a black waspfish, Tetraroge niger (there are some incorrectly identified ones) but there is a line drawing here:
File:Tetraroge niger Day.png - Wikimedia Commons
This could be your fish?
Gerry Allen & friends describe the black waspfish with "a white snout", but all these fish show large color variations & change color to match surroundings. Also, your description is for a very small individual, so it could be a juvenile.

It could also be a juvenile scorpionfish, like a Painted, but I don't think so.
There's no cirri above the eyes, no tassels around the chin and lower jaw.
I have never been to the Philippines, so it could be something quite localized.
Others may have more input?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your detailed response. Am inclined to agree with you when I see the illustration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom