What kind of shark is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
We saw this shark on a recent trip to Sea World. It was in a tank with lots of other juvenile sharks such as bonnetheads, black tip reef sharks, white tip reef sharks, and leopard sharks. But we're not sure what kind of shark this is.

Can anyone ID it?

Attachments

• m_100_0311.jpg
    m_100_0311.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 119
It looks like an adult Zebra shark.... also called a Leopard shark :)

Thank you...

Are there different kinds of leopard sharks though? I thought leopard sharks looked like this:

Attachments

• m_100_2645.JPG
    m_100_2645.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 64
As far as I know, the Zebra and Leopard are two totally different species. Young Zebras have stripes, that turn into spots as they mature, which is probably where the confusion comes from.

That first one sure looks like what they call a leopard shark in Thailand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but similar in form, function, and size to a nurse shark in the Atlantic. Prettier though!

It's a Zebra...A lot of people refer to them as Leopard because of their spots, but their correct name is Zebra Shark...Had several incredible encounters with them in Thailand

Thanks guys, and gals... I believe it's a zebra also, after looking up some pics on websites. It sure was a beautiful shark! I'd love to see some in the wild... but it sounds like I'd have to go to Thailand to see them. LOL Has anyone ever seen them around the US coast?

erparamedic:
Thanks guys, and gals... I believe it's a zebra also, after looking up some pics on websites. It sure was a beautiful shark! I'd love to see some in the wild... but it sounds like I'd have to go to Thailand to see them. LOL Has anyone ever seen them around the US coast?

Nope...I'm afraid you have to go overseas.

From Wikipedia:

The zebra shark is found in the tropical Western Pacific Ocean and Indian Ocean at depths of about 5 to 30 meters.

Back
Top Bottom