What kind of sharks have you seen?

What kind of sharks have you seen up close!

• NURSE

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • WHITE-TIPPED REEF, SILVERTIP REEF, GREY REEF, BLACK TIPPED REEF

Votes: 129 70.9%
  • SANDBAR SHARK/GREY NURSE/SNAGGLE TOOTH

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • LEMON SHARK

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • BULL SHARK / ZAMBEZI

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • TIGER SHARKS

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • OCEANIC WHITETIP, GREAT WHITE

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • MAKO

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • BLUE SHARKS

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • MEGAMOUTH,GOBLIN,HAMMERHEAD,THRESHER,WHALE,BASKING

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carribean Reef
Nurse
Grey Nurse
Leopard
Thresher
Port Jackson
Scalloped Hammerhead
Whitetip
Blacktip
Galapagos
Bull
Zambezi
Silvertip
Silky
Sand Tiger
Dogfish
Spurdog
Tope
Grey Reef

Hopefully the list will go on ...

18 years of shark-infested planetary diving

Seadeuce

But, they don't like me to be so curious.

Besides swimming with the 7+ ft sharks in the aquarium in Chas. SC, I dove with a 5-6ft nurse shark last summer here in Beaufort. The waters here are full of sharks. I've caught a few little hammerheads fishing (maybe 2 1/2 - 3 ft long). A few years ago there was a large lemon shark caught in the Water Festival fishing tourn. I think it was around 13 ft long. It took all day to bring it in and they received a hefty fine from DNR for it too.

The nurse shark had a sting ray for a dive buddy. They were so cool. R

a white tip, 2 days ago :) (Shark Reef, Ras Mohamed, Egypt)

FLL Diver once bubbled...
I saw this one two weeks ago in the Bahamas. :wacko:

I think it's a reef shark.

And I still love my $50 cheapie camera

Marc

Definitely looks like a bull shark to me.

I've played with several nurse sharks (shark/ray alley in belize)
hammerhead (also in belize)
6-7 bull sharks in Mexico (yikes!)
nurse, white tip, black tip & tiger (GBR)
whale shark (honduras)

hoping my next sighting is a thresher (PI in January *crossing fingers*)

FLL Diver once bubbled...
I saw this one two weeks ago in the Bahamas. :wacko:

I think it's a reef shark.

And I still love my $50 cheapie camera

Marc

Definately a Bull. Might be the same one on Shark Week that bit Eric Ritter.........what an idiot. Saw him on a show recorded earlier than anotomy of a shark bite, just yesterday and he was saying that the best defense from a shark is to use your feet and keep them moving like on a bicycle. Now this is completely different from the theroy he has today that you should stay completely still and they won't bother you.......this guy has many convenient theroys

Bull
Grey Whaler
Hammerhead
Leopard
Nurse
Port Jackson
Silvertip
White Tip Reef
Wobbegong

Was in the water once with an Oceanic Whitetip and missed it (to the amusement of the crew on the liveaboard - they were convinced I was going to walk off the plane when I got home treating the trip as a dead loss because I'd missed the Whitetip). Also rather sorry that I missed the Threshers others saw off the Brother Islands in the Red Sea (although I did spot the biggest manta I'd ever seen, so my buddy and I decided that was more than a consolation).

but chiming in anyway. (Have to, these creatures are FASCINATING!)
I've only been lucky enough to see a couple sharks while diving or snorkeling...two nurses and three what we gather to be reef sharks. (The ones we spotted were VERY well hidden under the coral sleeping the day away.)
However, when we went on our snorkeling trip out to Sting Ray City off Grand Cayman (wasn't a diver yet...) we did spot a Hammerhead. The operator followed it a bit for us...it was VERY eeire looking, but I loved seeing it!!!
The first shark I ever saw was a Lemon. We were fishing off a pier in Key West one summer when I was 7...my sister caught something that darned near drug her into the water. Dad took over the pole and saw the dorsal fin....reeled her in and took a quick photo and got some help getting her off the hook and back into the water. (My 7 year old self likes to believe the shark was just fine, as Dad says it was out of the water less than 5 mins and plenty unhappy about it the ENTIRE time!!!)

Nurse sharks and carribean reef sharks. I actually saw my first reef shark on my first open-water certification dive. My instructor and I had just jumped off of the boat at The Maze off the east end of Grand Cayman and were surface swimming towards shore to get to some shallower water (we had gone out on the dive boat with a bunch of regular divers). We spotted the shark - maybe a 7-footer but tough to tell - cruising along the bottom about 40 to 50 feet below us. It was a real "welcome to the sport" moment!

Back
Top Bottom