What kind of shears do you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the environment you'll be diving in.....If it's wrecks and you may have to deal w/cables/chains you'll need shears that can handle multi stranded cables and/or bolt cutters for solid wire or chains.......Rope or line can usually be handled w/a good quality, sharp knife........

MAKO Lionfish / Safety Shears

mlfss_sml.jpg

EMT shears, dime a dozen on ebay. They are perishable since even the ones I bought from scuba sources have carbon steel rivets that rust and fail. Really good for line and small stuff that rolls on a knife blade. Also very handy for loose threads and all sorts of dive site needs.

Autoclavable trauma shears have rust resisting rivets since they're made for medical reuse through steam sterilization. If it's not Autoclavable, the rivet point is sure to rust easily.
It beats having to drop $3 for cheap trauma shears after every 50 dives, assuming you rinse well and try not to lose them.
Get the 7.5in length. I feel the 5.5in is too tiny to be useful.

An important preventative maintenance note, spray WD-40 into the handles (where the metal seeps into the plastic handle) That will prevent salt water from seeping in, getting trapped, and rusting that point.

For the sheath, you can buy the standard Trident shears and just replace the pair it comes with when it rusts out. Or you could make a friction sheath using standard 2in webbing. Just fold a length into a Z, and stitch a U pattern on the bottom half to get a sheath with a 2in loop and a slot for the shears.

DIR Dalton Safety Knife.jpg

I use ebay trauma shears, and have over 350+ dives on one pair. Slight rust but they still work smoothly. I've got a few more pair hanging around to replace them long before they fail. Keep a pair of shears in my save-a-boat-dive kit that often get used.

I purchase mine from the dollar store. 5 for $5? Count me in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom