What kind of weight do you put in the QLR pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about getting the 32lb QLR pockets with my Transpac and was wondering what kinds of weights fit best in them in order to reach the full 32lb capacity- I dive dry in Nor Cal.

Thanks!

That is 16 lbs per pocket.......

I would not do that.....if you need 32 lbs of ballast I would......

Put 8 lbs on the tank strap with two of these......

XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket

I would put 10 lbs on a belt, worn under the crotch strap......

And put 7 lbs in each pockets for dumping one at a time if needed......

Another option is a SS backplate and/or weighted STA.....

16 lb weight pouches seems like an accident waiting to happen

M

I am new and have always put all my weight in my rented BC before, although 2x5lbs went in pockets on the back. I don't really want to have to wear a weight belt, but I don't mind some in the tank pockets.

Technically I only need 30 lbs in the BC. I wear 32 total but 2x1lb are ankle weights.

If the Transpac had two tank bands you can put 8 lbs on each band using 4 XS scuba weight pouches......

That would leave just 14 for the QLR pockets.......

So 7 in each......:D

Only reason I went with a belt is to allow for more ditchable weight.......as a newer diver that is a good thing......but 14 lbs of ditchable weight is still a lot.....

Hoe this helps.......M

You should never be putting all your weights in one system above a certain point. Diving dry or with a heavy wetsuit is one of those times. Reason is if for example you would have to ditch some weight or worse that weight somehow came out would you still be able to control your ascent. If you are using 32 lbs in a drysuit and one of the pockets comes loose or you need to drop some weight say to deal with a bc that fails how much do you need to lose to actually get going up? The answer if properly weighted to begin with is not very much. Maybe as little as 2-4 lbs. Now you go and dump one pocket. 16lbs is now gone. A little air in the suit and you are heading up like a rocket. I have not dove a weight integrated bc for a couple years now outside of the pool. And even there I use a belt.

The last time I dove a weight integrated bc dry with an al 8o the weight was distributed in the following manner. total of 28 lbs needed. 5 in each trim pocket, 4 in each weight pocket, and 8 on a belt. My plan was that IF I did need to drop any underwater it was going to be one of the pockets. 4lbs was more than enough to get going up and still maintain a good bit of control. My buddy also appreciated that I did not have all that weight in the bc and so did I when it came time to lift it.

The last time I dove dry with singles was in my DSS BPW with steel plate, 8lb bolt on weight plates, a steel 85, and 10 on the belt. The belt I use has individual pockets that I can drop weight out of in 2lb increments. The fron two are readily accessible and will allow me to drop that 4 lbs which is the max I would need to. This was by the way on a boat in Monterey.

Whatever route you go the first thing you need to do is a proper weight check and work on getting to what is referred to as a balanced rig. This should be where you have enough weight to get down and safely hold a stop yet still be able to swim the rig up in the case of a wing or suit failure. It is unlikely that both will fail but in the event they do you do not want ot be so overweighted that you can't still swim it up and if need be ditch the bc. I have not had a chance to do this with my new drysuit. Ear problem has me out of the water for a week or so. Soon as it's cleared I'll be doing this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom