What Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweitz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Light Cannon 100 with the recharge kit. Most of the rec divers I see use them, or the C8. I like the color temperature, and high intensity. I use it pretty much every dive and pretty much love it. With that said, I hate that it dangles from my BC when I'm not using it. Gets caught in the kelp, drags on the bottom (OK, I also have a couple of buoyancy issues, I’m aware and working on em).

So, what would be the next step up when I am ready to upgrade? Is there an inexpensive canister light? My wife will be getting her gear in a few months, so I figure now is the time to start planning on the hand me downs :eyebrow:

Thanks,

Mark

I went from a light cannon to a can light. Wow what a difference!!!! Focusable beam, no danglies and more powerful. Hands free operation - I can still perform tasks with my light on my hand. When it's stowed (clipped off to my right shoulder D ring) it is out of the way. When I stow it I also tuck in the cord into my waist belt. It keeps it out of the way and when jumping off a dive boat it minimizes snag potential.

Personally I have a Terkel 10 watt and at around $550. it has been a great buy. I guess if Terkel made an 18 or 22 w. light then that would be my next light of choice.
http://www.terkel.net/products.html

Once you get a can light you will wonder how you got along without one for so long.

mweitz:
I have a Light Cannon 100 with the recharge kit. Most of the rec divers I see use them, or the C8. I like the color temperature, and high intensity. I use it pretty much every dive and pretty much love it. With that said, I hate that it dangles from my BC when I'm not using it. Gets caught in the kelp, drags on the bottom (OK, I also have a couple of buoyancy issues, I’m aware and working on em).

So, what would be the next step up when I am ready to upgrade? Is there an inexpensive canister light? My wife will be getting her gear in a few months, so I figure now is the time to start planning on the hand me downs :eyebrow:
Good thing you've got somewhere for the hand me downs to go. I just bought a UK D4 so I won't be shelling out for a canister any time soon. If your light is dragging, how are you fastening it to your BC? I bought a coil lanyard which snaps up when I'm not using the light. It works okay.

Hehe on the hand me downs. Makes it a lot easier to make the initial purchase if you have a dedicated place for your old equipment.

I have the coil thing. It is fine until you:
1. Forget to clip it cause you are a task overloaded newbie
2. Do the Kelp Crawl
3. Swim through the kelp

OK, I went to the terkel sight and their (only that I could find) light was $750.00. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark

mweitz:
Hehe on the hand me downs. Makes it a lot easier to make the initial purchase if you have a dedicated place for your old equipment.

I have the coil thing. It is fine until you:
1. Forget to clip it cause you are a task overloaded newbie
2. Do the Kelp Crawl
3. Swim through the kelp

OK, I went to the terkel sight and their (only that I could find) light was $750.00. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,
I think that is the suggested retail price. Get in touch with Dave or Chris at NW Sports Divers here in Seattle.
http://www.nwsportsdivers.com/

I think they should be able to help you out.
When I bought mine it was with a bunch of other gear, but I think it was around $550.

I know I saw it listed on a Canadian site for $750 C. which should put it in the range I'm talking about.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Mark

I think these canister lights are way to exspensive..........when is the madness going to end.

Shakazulu
Two questions:
1. Where do you find your ever changing series of fashion models?

2. I have to agree with your premise of can lights being too expensive, but have you ever used one?

Me thinks the reason they are so astronomical is because of the cost of the ballasts.

overexposed2X:
Shakazulu
Two questions:
1. Where do you find your ever changing series of fashion models?

2. I have to agree with your premise of can lights being too expensive, but have you ever used one?

Me thinks the reason they are so astronomical is because of the cost of the ballasts.

The internet serve in my quest for the ever changing "HOT" ava..........

Looking at the cost of the materials, someone is making a lot of money here. Yes, I would love to have one, and I need one, but just can't justify that price. Wish I was still working at my previous company where they had a machine shop.

ShakaZulu:
The internet serve in my quest for the ever changing "HOT" ava..........

Looking at the cost of the materials, someone is making a lot of money here. Yes, I would love to have one, and I need one, but just can't justify that price. Wish I was still working at my previous company where they had a machine shop.

You should do a gallery of your Hot ava's...

I hear you on justifying the cost, but once you bite the bullet it doesn't hurt so much what with the pleasure you get.

Back
Top Bottom