What makes a good dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charters2dive4

Registered
Reaction score
Im Setting up a new dive boat for charters and Im very interested In every ones input on what they think makes good dive boat. Ive been diving a long time and have had other dive boats. This will be a boat for wreck diving in New England. Tell me what you like and what you don't like. Thanks im looking forward to hearing what you all think.

Good food, friendly staff, a toilet! a Captain that seems to be interested in good diving locations
with good conditions.

Man I always get ragged on for wanting to dive on boats with heads glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks it's important. I would also add a good captain that's not afraid to cancel the charter due to foul weather. Been on boats that should have been canceled and myself and other people have paid for it. My shoulder is completely jacked from timing the ladder to get back on the boat as it was going 5ft out of the water(65' boat), the bad part is that my timing was good it's not that I made a mistake the boat shouldn't have even went out or I should have let the $$$ for the trip go.

A hot water shower on the aft deck (even if it's salt, but fresh is better). Benches that are a reasonable height for getting on and off easily. Lots of handholds between the tank racks and the water entry spot. A ladder that has a smaller rise on the rungs, and lots of easily reachable handholds for climbing (remember, not all your clients will be six feet tall!).

Since I would assume you'll have a fairly long ride out to the dive sites, having a storage area for dry goods is nice, as is having a wet cabin that is enclosed and warm.

And of course, if you want to distinguish yourself from everyone else, put in an elevator:

[video=youtube;Zfd7TPrW9fI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfd7TPrW9fI[/video]

Warm places to get out of the wind.

Hot water, lots of it.

An engine that does not produce clouds of diesel fumes.

N

And of course, if you want to distinguish yourself from everyone else, put in an elevator:
Just to clarify, an inspected boat in the USA may not have an elevator, rather the inspection requirements are absolutely insane. The only dive boat I know with one is JT Barkers boat, the Under Pressure.

Just to clarify, an inspected boat in the USA may not have an elevator, rather the inspection requirements are absolutely insane. The only dive boat I know with one is JT Barkers boat, the Under Pressure.

A group of my dive buddies dive with him every year and begged me to install one after they saw JT's..........I told them that they were nuts.....but it is pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom