What makes a good dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's all been said before, but a clean, well ventilated, roomy, with wash basin, marine head.
Friendly and competent crew. quick fills to at least 3000.
I do like food and drink (hot coffee) with snacks during SI's.

But seriously, folks, if its a day boat:

1. Dive deck low to the water
2. Individual diver stations at least 26" wide (28 is better)
3. camera table
4. dry area for towels, clothes, log books, etc.
5. all walk ways at least 24 " wide ( unobstructed space)
6. ladders that extend at least 28" below water line for easy boarding
7. marine head
8. adequate drinking water ( 1/2 gallon per diver in large barrels ) decent cups to drink it from
9. dedicated camera rinse reservoir
10. fresh water rinse off shower ( hot water optional, but nice)
11. visible and accessible first aid kit and O2 kit
12. overhead rails for hanging onto when moving about
13. at least some overhead storage ares low enough for people under 5'6 to reach
14. secure tank racks so tanks do not shift or fall
15. non-slip deck surface of some kind.

I am sure others will add to this list. Good luck with the dive boat venture.
DivemasterDennis

Thank you for all the replies. I looking forward to reading more. I spoke with my accountant and he said sorry u wont be able to swing the cost of the elevator this year.

Thank you for all the replies. I looking forward to reading more. I spoke with my accountant and he said sorry u wont be able to swing the cost of the elevator this year.

how about a rope and pully?

sorry, but after reading this thread, I never want to climb a ladder again :)

Elbow room on the dive deck. I did a liveaboard on a 115' boat with nowhere near enough gearing-up room for 18 divers. There doesn't have to be room to waltz around, but give people the room they need to gear up without being in each other's faces.

A toilet for sure, with some extra room for changing for those of us who like a little privacy

A low rise between steps on the ladder; hand-holds on both sides of the ladder, and all within reach of us shorties. I have been on boats where I cannot possibly reach the top handhold or grab anything from the top step to bring me over, making me less self-sufficient.

A climate-controlled cabin preferably, but at least shelter from the elements if wanted.

A sun deck preferably. A BBQ on the sun deck for a burger lunch onboard if wanted.

More than one 02 bottle on board if needed.

A lift like some of our boats have here in Ontario, if not an elevator. Just sit on it underwater and they "wind" it up:

Joseph Simon lift platform.jpg

One of our boats here in Ontario has this and it's awesome too, you just step on and your head/upper body is already at deck level. Take your fins off easily without wave action, and just step up:

Helen C ladder.jpg

diver lift if you can swing it.
coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or soup once you get back on board.
place to store a dry bag.
heated wheelhouse
enough room for a twinset
a skipper who can shot a wreck accurately

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom