What Makes a Good Dive Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the people who say "communication" is the most important part of good buddy diving. Diver courtesy is also very important.

I like to dive with all skills of divers.

If someone has only 12 dives, I just like to have the discussion before the dive so I can do match their level. If a diver has 100's of dives, I tell them up front my air time and level and we find a pleasant dive for both divers.

I appreciate the patience of diving with advanced divers and I pass it on when diving with someone with a few dives. I always learn something new from both types of divers.

The pre-dive plan is important. It surprises me when a diver just wants to jump in and doesn't want to talk about a plan. It makes it easier and safer and I consider it a necessity.

I always do a safety check before each dive. It is surprising when I find somebody's air turned off.

If someone leads, I try to be in a good position so they only have to turn slightly to find me and I appreciate that they reciprocate.

I can see why people only dive with known dive buddies. When I dive with my regular dive buddies we know each others diving habits, we just know what the other is thinks and it becomes effortless. Sort of like when you get your buoyancy perfect and your weightless and your dive becomes effortless.

Since I'm married to my dive buddy, I'm going to add a previously unmentioned criteria for a good dive buddy -

Should be just as much fun to dive under the sheets with after the day's diving is done.:eyebrow:

(The Fiji trip would not have been nearly so cool if my wonderful wife hadn't been with me...)

A good dive buddy is simply someone you don't have to look after.

Someone who is predictable and communicates well is necessary for me to consider them to be a good buddy.

All of the above plus one who uses less air than I - so she has air in case I need it. :) yes, I married my dive buddy as well. We were = on gas usage early on but now she always is far more efficient than I am. I am very aware so up to this point I have never come close to needing to vampire her air but nice to know she has some for me if....

I am glad she isn't interested in photography. I take a few snapshopts but I think photographers and non photo bugs make difficult partners. I Have been buddied with a few. It isn't terrible because I can always find other things to look at while they wait for the "perfect shot" but I prefer being with my wife. We pretty much read each others minds.

A dive buddy with a good light.

I dive in Monterey and visibility can be very poor.
It is much easier to keep track of each other while carrying a good light.
I always use a light while diving day or night.

I own a boat, therefore I am a great dive buddy :confused:

A dive buddy with a good light.

I dive in Monterey and visibility can be very poor.
It is much easier to keep track of each other while carrying a good light.
I always use a light while diving day or night.

Funny of all things I prefer a buddy to have, it is a nice bright light. Most of my regular dive buddies have canister lights and it does help with communication and keeping track of them if they know how to use their light. Of course having the light shined in your eyes is really annoying. Call wolf enough and I may not pay attention when it is demanded.

Diving with newbies can be fun (Their excitement is contagious), and there is no depth requirement for a dive, other than maybe getting under the surge a little, and a dive does not need to be an hour long. As long as me and my buddy stick together and they maintain their air supply conservatively, I am perfectly happy to dive with most anyone. Dive plans need to be followed, and safety comes first. Beyond that I just want to dive for fun :D

on this last trip I found a buddy with the same air consumption as me. Drives me crazy diving with a group and surfacing with 1200 psi. So they started picking us up when we were ready to surface like a drift dive instead of out and back.

One thing I learned about lights. Keep them turned on until you have them safely clipped to your D -ring. I turned off my light and was clipping it to my D-ring and dropped in 60 feet of water at Point Lobos. I lost it. If I would have kept it on I could have easily found it.
$120 learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom