What makes one cave dive "bigger" than the other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it has to be divided into the dollar value of the hardware and assorted junk that you drag into the cave with you.

If you can get away with $2500 or so, its a small dive, probably just starting. From $2500 - $5000, its a bigger dive, you have been diving a bit longer. From $5000 - $10000, you have bought a used scooter or cheap rebreather. From $10,000 - $20,000, well you have a scooter AND rebreather, ready for "bigger" dives. From $20,000 - $50,000, you have multiple scooters, rebreathers, and stages, you are ready to join the WKPP or KUR. Over $50,000, well you are a project diver, ready for big dives. You have several scooters, 2016 models, not 2015, rebreathers, 25 or so stages and deco rigs, heated drawers under your dry suit, multiple primary lights and computers, and a strange desire to spend 800 minutes on a dive field testing decompression theory. Over $100,000, you could become project director.

So, there you go, like several other sports, the more money you spend, the bigger the dive.

I think it has to be divided into the dollar value of the hardware and assorted junk that you drag into the cave with you.

If you can get away with $2500 or so, its a small dive, probably just starting. From $2500 - $5000, its a bigger dive, you have been diving a bit longer. From $5000 - $10000, you have bought a used scooter or cheap rebreather. From $10,000 - $20,000, well you have a scooter AND rebreather, ready for "bigger" dives. From $20,000 - $50,000, you have multiple scooters, rebreathers, and stages, you are ready to join the WKPP or KUR. Over $50,000, well you are a project diver, ready for big dives. You have several scooters, 2016 models, not 2015, rebreathers, 25 or so stages and deco rigs, heated drawers under your dry suit, multiple primary lights and computers, and a strange desire to spend 800 minutes on a dive field testing decompression theory. Over $100,000, you could become project director.

So, there you go, like several other sports, the more money you spend, the bigger the dive.

Oh good. I'll order a Submariner and an Aquaracer later today to bump up the bigness of my dives.

Oh good. I'll order a Submariner and an Aquaracer later today to bump up the bigness of my dives.

I wonder if replacing lead with gold wouldn't be more efficient. Maybe a gold backplate? Start with gold plated and save up for the solid gold as you get more experience with the gold plating.

Carbon fiber back plates may be a decent alternative to gold. Just sayin'. ;-)

And to poke some fun at myself, as an owner of a CF scooter and RB, you can bet I've looked at these back plates! But I simply can't justify the expense.

I wonder if replacing lead with gold wouldn't be more efficient. Maybe a gold backplate? Start with gold plated and save up for the solid gold as you get more experience with the gold plating.

Talking and labeling dives as big is an ego driven and "record" breaking mindset and a dangerous place to be IMO.

My pinch of salt

Last edited:
Talking and labeling dives as big is an ego driven and "record" breaking mindset and a dangerous place to be IMO.

My pinch of salt

I agree....and I have no interest in calling a dive "big", but was considering quantifying the size of my dives. It was actually to look at conservatism, not to break my own record.

Why the need to quantify?

Every dive should be a big dive, thats the mindset!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom