What makes you go "wow"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJScubaDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Set off for a 1 tank dive this morning on a nearby reef, visited a tugboat (http://www.njscuba.net/reefs/site_venturo.html. Conditions beautiful, fairly calm seas, 50 top side, 54 down below. This is was my fourth offshore dive to this reef, visibility has not been as great as it was earlier in the season, so I'm used to diving in this "cloud" of vision. Today, however, the viz opened up a bit to the point where I could just about make out the entire tug on my decent. This was a wow moment for me indeed, one of those moments where you find yourself saying "wow" through your regulator.

Just wondering what your guys' wow moments were.

NJScubaDoc:
Just wondering what you guys' wow moments were.

Diving Aliwal Reef in South Africa.... cruising by a couple dozen sand sharks..... looking up and seeing 6 huge manta rays cruising past.... then surfacing with a pod of dolphins....

Actually, for me, every single dive is a "wow" for me.

NJScubaDoc:

Any time I am underwater and the water is crystal clear.

NJScubaDoc:
Set off for a 1 tank dive this morning on a nearby reef, visited a tugboat (http://www.njscuba.net/reefs/site_venturo.html. Conditions beautiful, fairly calm seas, 50 top side, 54 down below. This is was my fourth offshore dive to this reef, visibility has not been as great as it was earlier in the season, so I'm used to diving in this "cloud" of vision. Today, however, the viz opened up a bit to the point where I could just about make out the entire tug on my decent. This was a wow moment for me indeed, one of those moments where you find yourself saying "wow" through your regulator.

First time blowing a perfect bubble ring, first time seeing soft corals the size of large bushes (having no idea they could grow that size without falling apart, as I'd only seen much smaller ones in public aquariums and such), first time penetrating a wreck, first time recognizing a species that I had absolutely no clue lived in that kind of water...

And the "holy ****" moment of realizing during my "deep" dive in AOW that being at 30m meant I had about 100 feet of frickin' water above me!!!

I have lots of wow moments. I love beautiful or peculiar living things . . . the feather stars in Australia, with their spectacular color patterns; the plumose anemones I live with, that look like the trees nursery school kids draw, in feathery white and orange; alabaster nudibranchs looking like expensive glass paperweights; spotted eagle rays flapping majestically off into the blue.

Our recent Australia diving trip was so full of "wow", I didn't know which direction to look.

I have a WOW moment on almost every dive. Usually it is seeing something unique or seeing something common in a unique position or behaviour. Some days it's simply clicking that I am doing this amazing thing and seeing these amazing things.

Cape Cod Bay in summer w/southwesterly winds and an incoming tide. Tons of sea life and a lobster under every rock. Oh Yeh!:bang:

Scuba diving.

the K

ya, each dive has there own little "wow" that I like. The most memorable "wow" was looking up at the reef wall of Hilutugan, Cebu from 120 ft. The water was crystal clear and you could see everything.

Made me realize how puny and insignificant I was compared to the massive the reef structure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom