What mode to shot in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a GoPro 3+ and a Srp red filter with a sola light. What modes are best to shoot in?

If you are in the states 1080 and 30

in Europe 1080 and 25...

I mostly use the gopro for RC flight and I tend to shoot 50fps myself. More frames to get a good grab from and better for slowmo when I crash :p

WHich is very good in daylight in air Tigerman...

However... 25/30 frames will give the camera more time to expose each frame, and you can get better quality film with less light.

(I do see your point for slowmo though...)

I've actually used it at 50fps in the dark as well. Not pitch black of course, but most certainly "low light conditions"..
[video=youtube;fsjNWa-SpH4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsjNWa-SpH4[/video]

You have a really really really really really nice house.

Hahahaha, yeah. Also known as a hotel :p

For underwater use I think shooting in protune and cam raw is a big advantage on the black and black plus, frame rate wise I use 30p most of the time but in very good light 60p can be ok. My go to UW setting is 2.7k30 pt and cam raw with or without a filter and then post process to get the wb as I want. Since my first tests with the black UW I found the AWB to be just as flukey as the earlier GoPro's and the plus is still the same, shooting in cam raw has given me some very good results along with my SRP setup from 5m to 65m depths. Shooting in cam raw will give you more work but you can use every shot, shooting in auto is definitely easier but there are times when the wb freaks out and the shot is pretty much ruined generally it goes green no matter the water colour.

Here is a video shot all in 2.7k30 and 1080p60 wide with protune and cam raw to depths of 30m with a H3 black and URPro CY filter no lights.

Here is some deeper footage shot all in 2.7k30 protune cam raw hero 3 black, no filter and lights most of this is 30-65m depths.

Here is a video also in 2.7k30 and 1080p60 pt and cam raw in poor vis pretty shallow 5-10m with URPro GR filters and lights used showing the graded and ungraded footage to show what to expect in this mode before doing any post processing.

I dont have much regular auto mode UW footage as I just did some test videos and found the WB issue which is completely avoided in cam raw. Most of my colouring is done in the free GoPro studio app so this can be done quite easily after a little practice by anyone without needing to buy expensive software.

Oh wow... I should have bought a black when they were on sale. I just heard they were having so many problems...

Would you still use Protune on the HD2?

The 3+ has auto lowlight mode where the framerate goes from 60 to 30 ( 50 to 25 pal) when the sensor senses lower light.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom