What nitrogen narcosis symptoms have you experienced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Photo Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious, because I have never been deep enough to experience narcosis. I have read various descriptions like "hearing jungle drums".

I experienced very slow thinking/difficulty to stay focused ... but that was below the max recommended depth for recreational dive of -40m.

Everything from just being foggy to the first time below 200', when I heard the "wawa", started getting tunnel vision and knew i was about to black out.

I have had "good dives" on air and dives where I could not feel my legs (that is an odd feeling). Have not dived air deep since 1998.

I got nicely dark narced at 117ft on the Milwaukee Car Ferry wreck in Lake Michigan (several miles off Milwaukee) a month ago. Maybe 30ft viz, kinda dark, 50F water temp. Gloom, doom, fear. I was already kind of nervous as it was my deepest dive (130ft to the sand) to date. Knew I had to ascend, but buddy was probably narced himself (but very relaxed). Took a bit to get his attention and then we ascended.

Drunks seldom know how drunk they are.

Being too busy having a good time and not paying attention to how drunk they are might be a more accurate description. At least for some drunks.

Perceptual narrowing and things are darker than they are on Trimix at the same depth

Fascination over and concentration on one thing, to the near-exclusion of all other things I should have been looking at/ thinking about.

Off Florida around Jupiter, descended on the deeper side of a ledge, assumed it was about 100' to the bottom on the seaward side of the ledge close to it, as I watched bottom gradually get closer. The bottom was fascinating, for unknown reasons. While fixated on it, I didn't look at my depth gauge (who cares, I'll just level off at about 90' anyway by looking at the fascinating bottom until I'm 10 feet from it), nor had I looked to see my buddy. Don't need to inflate yet, all's well. The world was kind of serene and I had a sense of overall well-being--- until I got nudged from who knows where by the DM, who checked my air (I had plenty) and motioned me to ascend. Why?, wondered my happy brain. My buddy appeared too. Cool, I have company..

Uh. wait. What's that my depth gauge says? I'm at 130'. Why? Must have drifted farther east from the reef into deeper water than I intended. So I ascended about 30 feet with buddy, and felt more logical. Finished the dive without further incident.

I've been a little deeper without feeling narced*. But this time, why I do believe I was ;-)

*different dive, different occasion, same general reef area, same very good buddy. She pointed to a diver who must descended earlier than us, standing upright on the 150' bottom with a fixed stare, not moving. She descended from the 120' or so where we had been, and went to look in his mask and ask him what's up. I followed and was just above them at 145' in case needed. She took him (us) up about 25', and he found logic. We all continued the dive. I didn't feel narced on this one. So it ain't just depth, it would seem. Having a "job" along with someone else kept me more logical...

I was talking to a dive shop owner and mentioned that I hadn't been narced yet. His reply was that sure you have, you just didn't realize you were.

When we started to switch from deep air to trimix, the truly frightening thing was to dive a deep wreck on trimix, that you had previously done on air. You suddenly realised how little of the previous dives you had remembered, and worse still, on some which where covered in line and netting, how oblivious to the line and netting you had previously been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom