what not to bring a backup of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why bother buying a duplicate of everything when anything that might break will be available for rent on the liveaboard.

Assuming that "everything" will be available on a liveaboard is nearly as foolish as bringing a backup of everything yourself.

I would include the "O" rings for the SPG spool (or a replacement spool). I've had these blow on multiple occasions, now I always carry a spare. I also carry a fiber optic cable for my camera/strobe. A variety of straps (mask, fin) and I also carry a spare Zeagle BX Power Inflator (my wife had one blow so we lost the second dive of the day on a boat, now I just have to take off the existing and screw the new one on.

Any dive trip, I only bring backups of two items.....

1. Prescription mask - I can't see without it.
2. A dive computer - I'm a techno geek and like to download dives into my computer.

Both are small and lightweight. Everything else I can probably find wherever I'm diving.

Jim

This as well as one spare fin strap in the event one were to fail.

<<be sure to have your equipment checked out/serviced before the trip>>

What's the best way to break your equipment? Have it serviced!

Half in jest, half seriously, just as KWinter mentioned, the best way to develop a problem is to take apart what was working. Yep, gear should be serviced but you must test it at depth to be certain, and then have time for them to fix it before you have to go.

At the beginning of July on a weeks live-aboard my wife had a fin spring break and we hadn't taken a spare (less than 1 year old XS scuba spring bad batch of steel which had corroded as mine are the same age and fine). She got loaned a set of boat fins and hated them.

On the last trip 2 weeks ago I took a spare spring for each, a basic diver multi tool and hex key set as sometimes things need a tweak and it saves hunting on the boat for tools and some O rings.

Unfortunately this save a dive kit couldn't stop us catching a bug on the plane trip so out of 10 days we lost the last 4 as we couldn't dive, thankfully sanity was secured by having a hard drive full of series box sets and movies keeping in our cabin as much as we could so as not to infect anyone else (and not to get depressed from seeing everyone else dive).

I also agree that the best "backup kit" is a fully functional set of gear to start with. Give everything the once over before you go. Hook up your Octo and BCD to a spare tank at your local dive shop -- turn it on, test everything and turn it off. See if the pressure gauge holds steady. If it doesn't, track down the source of the leak. In 15 years of diving, I've only needed to replace fin straps, batteries and cheap sunglasses. Oh, and the cap that blows off your head on the first day!

Last edited:
Just returned from a trip on the Rocio Del Mar in the Sea of Cortez. None of the areas we were diving were inhabited so I figured I needed to bring backups to anything that might hinder my diving if lost.

Besides the standard "save a dive" kit, I also brought an extra computer and since it wasn't air integrated as my primary one is, I also brought a gauge console with an spg and depth gauge. I also brought a spare fiber optic cable for my flash units. Oddly enough, two people lost their wetsuits after the last day of diving due to leaving them to dry on the sundeck without tying them down securely.

As it turned out, everything worked fine and I didn't need any of my backups, but I didn't have to worry about it.

Most liveaboards keep some rental/loaner equipment onboard. I would recommend packing a robust "save a dive" kit with replacement and consumable parts. In addition be sure to have your equipment checked out/serviced before the trip.

Why bother buying a duplicate of everything when anything that might break will be available for rent on the liveaboard. That will save you lugging your excess gear through airports, hotels and on the boat.

^^^^^^Yeah that. They may not have exactly what you need but a few minutes and some wrenches and you can usually cobble something together. In the era of weight restrictions and luggage charges you gotta stay lean!!

After diving for over 10 years, I have at least 2 of everything.

But do you carry it with you on a trip?

<<be sure to have your equipment checked out/serviced before the trip>>

What's the best way to break your equipment? Have it serviced!

Half in jest, half seriously, just as KWinter mentioned, the best way to develop a problem is to take apart what was working. Yep, gear should be serviced but you must test it at depth to be certain, and then have time for them to fix it before you have to go.

Tend to agree with that. I was headed to the Truk Odyssey for my first trip there. Did all of my due diligence. Got my gear serviced and even jumped in the pool at the shop after I got it back just to dial it in. Then unpacked on the dive deck and lo and behold my wireless transmitter failed! (yeah yeah I know before you go dig up my old posts in the wireless air integrated thread, I acknowledge that these things happen but no more that any other piece of kit)
Captain, who shall remain nameless, starts to bark at me about checking me gear before flying halfway around the world. I bark back indicating I did just that and asking what kind of idiot did he think I was. For the record we got along fine after that. Stuck in an old school SPG for the boat's stock and all was good for the week.

Just returned from a trip on the Rocio Del Mar in the Sea of Cortez. None of the areas we were diving were inhabited so I figured I needed to bring backups to anything that might hinder my diving if lost.

Besides the standard "save a dive" kit, I also brought an extra computer and since it wasn't air integrated as my primary one is, I also brought a gauge console with an spg and depth gauge. I also brought a spare fiber optic cable for my flash units. Oddly enough, two people lost their wetsuits after the last day of diving due to leaving them to dry on the sundeck without tying them down securely.

As it turned out, everything worked fine and I didn't need any of my backups, but I didn't have to worry about it.

In my experience, the back up gear you bring is going to save-a-dive for your other fellow divers, if not for yourself. It's pretty much a given I'll be lending/donating spare O-rings, mask, regulator, dive light, etc., to one or more other divers over the course of any given trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom