What Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am getting ready to purchase an Atomic Aquatics B2 regulator (after years of saving up). AA also makes a very expensive octo. The dealer also sells Aeris, but other dealers in town sell Oceanic and Scuba Pro. I now nothing about choosing an octo. What should I look for? Any suggestions of brands, models? thanks.

I would stick to the same 2nd stage for you "Octo". It will make maintenance easier and when s**t hits the fan you will be breathing off the same piece of life support equipment that you are used to, alleviating the stress of the situation.

Of course, buying a matching octo is ridiculously expensive but then so it the Atomic B2. What's another $400 or so?

One theory is that you donate your primary (on a long hose) to your OOA buddy. This leaves you with the octo. You probably want a good one.

So, figure you will buy the matching octo some time down the road and just get something that is serviceable for now. Any of the Oceanic octos will work well as will any other name brand. They probably won't be adjustable and they certainly won't breathe as well as the B2 but they will get you to the surface.

Richard

I strongly recommend that the primary and backup be the same brand if not same model. At annual service time, if your reg is all atomic, then any atomic dealer can service the whole thing. Your current LDS may be a dealer for atomic and aeris, but sometime in the future you might move, that shop might close and you'll wind up either searching for a shop who is a dealer for both or having to bring your reg to two different shops.

All interesting thoughts. Any thoughts on the relative merits of the Aeris Gyro Octo or the A-1 Octo? Thanks.

I say go with an identical brand and model as your primary, works for me anyway. Oh wait thats wrong I dont use an octo I have an identical first stage and second stage on a sling tank (pony bottle al40) or use doubles but tomatoe tomato (or whatever).

Regulators are dumb pieces of equipment. They have no brain, and therefore don't know what brand second stages they're feeding. As long as the first stage puts out the pressure the second stage likes, the second stage is happy as a clam. Octos are the same way. Either Aeris octo will work just fine on an Atomic reg. Just make sure that when you buy the Atomic the dealer also sells Aeris products. That way servicing the reg won't present a problem. Personally, between the Gyro and the A1, I'd go with the A1. All you need with an octo is a basic reg that'll get you (or your buddy) to the surface safely.

Remember, Atomic has no warranty on parts, but has a two-year service interval. Aeris has a one-year service interval but parts are free under warranty.

There's a reason why Atomic octos and regulators are expensive. They're excellent stuff. I'm sure that the LDS that you're buying the reg from would cut you a deal. Hey, everything is negotiable, especially right now when customers with cash to spend are hard to find.

I also use the B2, and while I don't have an Atomic octo but I do have its inflator/octo for my BC. Not cheap, but it's damn good stuff. I have a Dive Rite inflator/octo which is pretty much identical to the Scubapro Air 2. There's no comparison in the breathing characteristics between these two. The Atomic is much easier to breath through at depth (I practice with my gears to prepare for emergencies). So, if I were to decide to get a separate octo, I'd get me an Atomic. But get the Z2 octo if you worry about price.

I agree with the earlier comments regarding keeping the 1st and 2nd stages the same manufacturer - If only so that when servicing, you are dealing with one manufacturer. Certainly mixing models is no issue.

I have the T2X, Z2, M1, and the Ti2Octo which is what I use as an Octo. I use the Z2 on a Pony bottle and the M1 will likely be used on a set of doubles. You can purchase the AA second stages by themselves. I checked AA online and the Z2 second stage is $290 but I am sure you could do better than this 2nd hand or a dive shop sale.

The AA's breathe great. I get into some interesting orientations while lobster hunting and no issues at all.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom