What Port to Put Pressure Gauge on Pony (redundant)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IncreaseMyT

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok I keep this bottle strapped to my primary tank and clip it off above my SSI on the left. Never had a pressure gauge on it so I figured it was time to work that out :)

My instinct says put it so it can be viewed top down, but on second thought should it be on the opposite side of the hose so a buddy can check pressure? Does it matter cause in either position I won't be able to see it when diving?

Pics below:

HwpWRs5.jpg

HwpUZuH.jpg

HwpVm39.jpg

HwpVQEQ.jpg

HwpXatM.jpg

I usually put them "button down" since these ones are rather fragile and don't like being knocked about. Having them protected is ideal. It's not like you're checking it during the dive since you aren't using it. Those gauges are for pre-dive to ensure you have enough before you jump. If you have to use it during the dive, you either have enough, or you run out

Tom is correct. If this is indeed a pony used for emergency purposes only, then the only time you need it is when you are setting up your gear, so just put it in the safest place possible.

I would say you have the regulator set up wrong. If you have it back mounted then the last thing you want is a hose sticking out sideways.

You want to turn the first stage 90 degrees so the hose runs straight down and then under your arm and then up to
Your neck on a neck lanyard. You want the gauge sticking straight up so you can see the pressure when you turn the tank on. It will be very obvious when you try it.

Having it back mounted and the gage pointing down would require you to use a mirror or hold the entire rig upside down? Just have the gage straight up and the pony mounted slightly below the primary so the pony and gage are protected from impact when a Goliath grouper drags you into a wreck

And your buddy is not going be checking the pressure in your pony underwater - ever.

Just be sure it’s on a high pressure port.
You can't make a mistake with that because the ports are not the same size.

True, they are a "fuel gauge".

But, if I was to back mount it (and I wouldn't), I'd probably get some length of hose to get the gauge in my view. Not knowing it is empty, and reaching for it is pointless.... Now, slung, a button, is a quick verification (as well as no bubbles). Out of sight isn't what I'd want....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom