What replaced the Scubapro Equalizer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLBryan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I completed my OW course in Grand Cayman last month in a Scubapro Equalizer, which I really liked. Seems like they aren't making that one anymore. What has replaced it or would be a comparable substitute? I own a Dive Rite Hydrolite which I think is a bit advanced for me.

I own a Dive Rite Hydrolite which I think is a bit advanced for me.
Why do you think it's a bit advanced for you? Seems like a streamlined, relatively simple system.

Apart from a couple of odd BCs, the rest function the same basic way. Differences from beginner to tech is mainly the size of the bladder, and number/location of D rings.

The Dive Rite Hydro Lite is a great BC and not advanced, It will serve you well for years. The only thing I might do is replace the bottom velcro tank strap with a proper cam strap the same as the top tank strap.

Attachments

• 1715809013912.png
    1715809013912.png
    637.1 KB · Views: 12
I completed my OW course in Grand Cayman last month in a Scubapro Equalizer, which I really liked. Seems like they aren't making that one anymore. What has replaced it or would be a comparable substitute? I own a Dive Rite Hydrolite which I think is a bit advanced for me.
You can pick one up used here if size L.

Why do you think it's a bit advanced for you? Seems like a streamlined, relatively simple system.

Apart from a couple of odd BCs, the rest function the same basic way. Differences from beginner to tech is mainly the size of the bladder, and number/location of D rings.
Did my first two open water dives and had trouble getting trim right which effected ability to stay horizontal. Diving with 18 lbs., so six in packets on my tank pulling me back. Wore equalizer next two dives and two more after that no problems. Diving in Key Largo next weekend and don’t want any trouble.

Did my first two open water dives and had trouble getting trim right which effected ability to stay horizontal. Diving with 18 lbs., so six in packets on my tank pulling me back. Wore equalizer next two dives and two more after that no problems. Diving in Key Largo next weekend and don’t want any trouble.
There will be a bit of a learning curve with any BC on getting the trim right. Not sure where you did your original dives with either the Hydro Lite or the equalizer, but you may need to adjust for exposure protection in Key Largo, as you may need less.

Is 18 lbs right for you? What tank? Wetsuit? Approximate weight and height of you? Lots of new divers are over-weighted. That can make it tough to get trim right.

Also, were the weights on the tank on the upper or lower tank band? If lower, any way to move them to the upper?

There will be a bit of a learning curve with any BC on getting the trim right. Not sure where you did your original dives with either the Hydro Lite or the equalizer, but you may need to adjust for exposure protection in Key Largo, as you may need less.

Is 18 lbs right for you? What tank? Wetsuit? Approximate weight and height of you? Lots of new divers are over-weighted. That can make it tough to get trim right.

Also, were the weights on the tank on the upper or lower tank band? If lower, any way to move them to the upper?
Both in Grand Cayman. Not wet suit. Not planning one for the keys. Not sure about the tank. One weight packet on each band - one to the right, one to the left. 5'7", 195. Very buoyant. At 18 still had a little trouble holding my safety spot with less air in my tank, so thinking maybe 20 for Key Laro.

Both in Grand Cayman. Not wet suit. Not planning one for the keys. Not sure about the tank. One weight packet on each band - one to the right, one to the left. 5'7", 195. Very buoyant. At 18 still had a little trouble holding my safety spot with less air in my tank, so thinking maybe 20 for Key Laro.
Tank was most likely an AL80, and probably what you'll use in the Keys.

Weight is whatever is needed, though it does sound high for me. For comparison, when I'm using an AL80 and a wetsuit, and want to be a bit overweighted (for a certain task) I use 18 lbs. I'm 6' and around 185 lbs. But, weight needs tend to drop as you gain more experience. I don't think you are dangerously over-weighted, but maybe a bit. On your next dive, do a weight check on your safety stop. Make sure your BC is empty or near empty, you may have to ask your buddy to report status. Pay attention to your breathing. It should be as close to natural as possible. You may find that you are retaining a bit more in your lungs during exhale.

I'm still confused on where the weight is. in the picture posted above, there is an upper band with a cam buckle and a lower band with velcro. Typically one of these bands has the trim pockets on either side. My BC originally came with them on the lower band, but I moved to the upper and like this better.

If you do opt for 20 lbs, see if you can put 2 lbs where you can easily reach it. Perhaps hand off to your buddy during your weight check during safety stop (after communicating intentions pre-dive) and see if you can still hold depth with an empty BC.

18# is waaaaay too much without a wetsuit. That's 5mm full suit weight or more.
Guessing you are head up, kicking continuously and still retaining air in the BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom