What’s in a name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another apparently nonsensical word: "SeaGull".

I still use the term just to irritate cocky marine biology grad students.

I also use "jellyfish" and "seahorse".

I am pretty sure that the Portuguese Man o War is neither from Portugal or a Man? Could be wrong though.

I have a good one: "Sea Pork":D

Used in reference to certain tunicates (yum!) and *of course*, dolphin and porpoise meat in certain south american countries (double yum!).

How about the redundant term, "tuna fish"? Like is there a tuna anything else? Tuna mammal? Tuna bird?

At least here in the U.S. more times then not you'll hear stuff like "tuna fish sandwich" rather than simply "tuna sandwich".

Or on the radio advertisements that say "Carne Asada Steak".

Whale Shark.

A "whale shark" is not a whale.

"Killer whale" is an unfair name. Why aren't all predators labelled "killer". E.g. A tiger would be a Killer Cat.

A "Jack" should actually be called a "Trevally".

Lots of confusion between which is a Lobster and which is a Crayfish. And a crayfish is not a fish.

Regards
Peter

shakeybrainsurgeon:
is a cuttlefish a fish, or a misnomer?

I agreed in my original post it's not a fish.

peterbkk:
A "whale shark" is not a whale.

The "whale" in Whale Shark refers to its size.

peterbkk:
"Killer whale" is an unfair name.

It's not unfair, but it is inaccurate. The do kill, but they are not whales, they are dolphins. The original name was "Whale Killer," as they were first observed killing whales. Somehow, the name got reversed.

I don't expect names to make sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom