What scares you beneath the surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving with a friend of San Clemente Island. He came aboard with a goody bag with 5 bricks of C3 (older plastic explosive) tied together with det (detonation) cord and a dozen 50 caliber shells.

It was probably a failed shot because the det cord was less than 6'/2m long. Normally det cord runs from the explosive to a safe distance to a boat (or the island) where a blasting cap is attached. You have to be careful not to have tight bends in the det cord or the high velocity explosive (PETN) in the plastic tubing will blow apart instead of propagating to the charge.

We probably would have kept it if it were C4 instead of C3. Fortunately all the Composition Cs are very stable.

Saw that video the other day, pretty funny stuff..

I can be a bit of an ass. Not me scared, but I have successfully done the scaring.

1.) I pushed a dead fish under a guys arm once at the ss and when he looked down he about jumped out of his suit. I laughed so hard I almost drowned. We all did (except for him of course).

2.) I found a live horseshoe crab upside down fighting to turn over. I decided to help him out but before letting him go I swam over to my buddy (who was watching a whole group of sand tiger sharks) and dropped it down over his mask just into view. So all he saw was the legs coming down. He jumped back and gave me the 1 finger salute and screamed something into his reg.. he later said he thought it was a shark.

Both of these situations still make me smile when I think about them. I'm sure I'll get it returned 10 fold one day..

Eels scare me. I have seen some pretty big ones. I give them as much room as possible but the last time I was out going after a lobster there was one that I didn't see and he scared me.

I have respect for sharks, but I wouldn't say fear.

We were diving in Negril, Jamaica years ago with an affable, easy going dive guide named Kurt.

Kurt picked us up at our resort every morning and was always in a good mood, chatting away about this and that, and we developed a real good relationship with him.

Due to the set up on the boat (we were the only two divers), there was just Kurt and the captain.

At the end of each dive, Kurt (who wore a shorty wetsuit) would climb into the boat first and then help us up with our rigs.

On our last dive, as Kurt was climbing the ladder, I reached out and grabbed some of the hair on his calf between two fingers and gave them a pull.

I bet they could have heard his high-pitched scream back on shore.

Once he figured it out, he just started laughing.

Our long gone member DumpsterDiver had video of freediving down to his buddies who were on a deco stop with stringers of fish, and not liking the idea of bull sharks. Apparently, he came up behind one of his buddies and grabbed him.....

I was diving with a friend of San Clemente Island. He came aboard with a goody bag with 5 bricks of C3 (older plastic explosive) tied together with det (detonation) cord and a dozen 50 caliber shells.

It was probably a failed shot because the det cord was less than 6'/2m long. Normally det cord runs from the explosive to a safe distance to a boat (or the island) where a blasting cap is attached. You have to be careful not to have tight bends in the det cord or the high velocity explosive (PETN) in the plastic tubing will blow apart instead of propagating to the charge.

We probably would have kept it if it were C4 instead of C3. Fortunately all the Composition Cs are very stable.
We're often reminded not to bring up wedges of "cheese" from the bottom. Torpex!

What scares me? Other than pissing off my wife? A 6 ft damsel fish, 2 inch ones attact my camera. If I ever saw a 6 ft damsel I would never dive again.

Kids and idiots with spearguns that don't handle the speargun as a deadly weapon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom