What sea bass is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lack of spots along the dorsal fin is interesting. But look how rounded the tail is, my vote is Graysby.

charris400 agrees with me..... the spots are there :D
Pipehorse:
The lack of spots along the dorsal fin is interesting. But look how rounded the tail is, my vote is Graysby.
Even the newbie is with me here. (well, maybe he can't see the spots but it's another vote for Graysby.) Hello Pipehorse, welcome to SB! Jump over to the I&G forum and tell us a li'l about yourself.

Then you can come back to check this thread n find out what I win! :D

:dance:

Righto, guess I'll go with the graysby. Thank you everyone.

Well I ain't convinced... My initial thought was Graysby, and I'm still leaning that way, but... if it is, it's a variant or a hybrid :)
Rick

San Salvador has a LOT of coney colour-variants, and me and my fish expert pal first thought it was one of those. We must have spent over half an hour enhancing the original photo looking for identifying features. I made the image a bonus question for my reef fish ecology students on Andros, and almost everyone jotted down red hind. :eyebrow:

It looks more like a Coney than a Grasby in the general shape of the mouth. An adult grasby has a heavy, grouper-like mouth. I have yet to find a Coney photograph with the dotted pattern that extends into the fins. Your specimen does have a dark spot on the mouth.

It could be a graysby-coney hybrid. Wouldn't that be fun?:confused:

archman:
It could be a graysby-coney hybrid. Wouldn't that be fun?:confused:

Did you see the fish? What was your first thought?

TheRedHead:
Did you see the fish? What was your first thought?

"what the crap is this thing?!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom