What sets off your alarm bells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry.....but you DID have alarm bells and/or fog horns go off. Had those alarm bells not gone off, it could've turned into an awful dive. It was those alarm bells that allowed it to be enjoyable.....I don't see why alarm bells have to mean you fail miserably at being a "fun diver."

Fair call, I suppose then the thread is missing how we respond to those divers, after all we are defined by our own actions and I think they are far more important than simply identifying poor drills and bad attitudes.

I also suspect much of my tongue in cheek humor doesn't translate well over the net.

I understood there was a "fog horn" vs "alarm bell" joke.

I guess my point was that a lot of people have jumped on others for judging people, but everyone does. Plus, I believe the tongue-in-cheekness of this whole thread has been skipped over by those people.

I understood there was a "fog horn" vs "alarm bell" joke.

I guess my point was that a lot of people have jumped on others for judging people, but everyone does. Plus, I believe the tongue-in-cheekness of this whole thread has been skipped over by those people.

Now who is being judgemental? :D Paying attention to someone and their mannerisms before a dive is one thing BUT...judging someone because they carry a knife or have new gear is something entirely different IMO.

Now who is being judgemental? :D Paying attention to someone and their mannerisms before a dive is one thing BUT...judging someone because they carry a knife or have new gear is something entirely different IMO.

I am. I never said otherwise. And if you carry an 18" long knife, I judge you as a sucker to the dive shop. My prejudices have been proven wrong, but I like my odds. New gear isn't something I judge, though.....it's crappy gear (not old, but crappy).

This is an interesting thread. I haven't dove in a tradition sense in about 14 years. Coincidentally that was the last time I dove for my own pleasure, with my own personally gear. I'm used to being under the water by myself. The only bright side of that is I am always communicating with my tender, so I never really feel alone. And there is always a safety diver on standby. I am getting back into diving for fun again after too long. This thread kind of makes me wonder how I would come across as a dive buddy? Learning how a potential dive buddy communicates under water would be a big one for me. As well as formulating a dive plan.

One of my buddies is ex-commercial, and he is pretty unflappable under water. A bonus in my books :)

I am. I never said otherwise. And if you carry an 18" long knife, I judge you as a sucker to the dive shop. My prejudices have been proven wrong, but I like my odds. New gear isn't something I judge, though.....it's crappy gear (not old, but crappy).

That's fair enough I guess but I don't remember anyone saying they carry an 18" knife while diving. I would have to agree with you, that would be a bit much. My knife is a standard size but then again got it off of a guy on Craigslist so no sucker to the dive here...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom