What shop to use in Key West for snorkelers and divers on same boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior2725

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are heading down to Key West for my guy's 30th bday with a group of friends. We are both divers and two other people in the group are. The rest would be snorkelers (probably 4 of them). We won't be down long so I need to find a boat that can take us out together. Any recommendations? Of course I really want to dive the Vandenberg while we're down there but I don't think its going to be in the cards.

Thanks

Captains Corner takes snorkelers as well as divers....(and for the divers out there, they do a good job keeping the two seperated)

Captains Corner.
Nice people.
They do different types of trips.
Give them a call and let them know what you want/need/like to do.
Different things on different days.

Chug

Just done 6 dives with Captains Corner.
Did the Vandanberg three times. Fantastic, it is a must do.
Yesterday we did two dives in the morning (Vandanberg and then the Cayman Salvor, which by the way was a great dive) and then two dives in the afternoon. The aftrenoon was a reef dive x 2 and they were both awful. We didn't get past 8m. The worst thing was there was nothing to see apart from one Nurse shark and three lobsters. The second dive is the worst sea dive I have ever done, I can't even remember the name of the dive.
As this was our first dives in Florida I can't not say if Captains Corner is a good set up or not. They did seem a little disorganised to what I am used to.
I had emailed them prior to arriving requesting cylinders etc, Each person we spoke to who worked for them gave us different information.
Two warnings:
1. They have a drop tank just in case anyone gets close to running out of air. On our why back we thought we would try it and guess what it failed. For us it was not a problem as we both carry bail out cylinders, however had it been needed it wouldn't have worked as it just let water in. It was reported to the crew, who did nothing with it and put it back in for the second dive. Very concerning
2. Today I spoke to one of the divers who cut his deco stop short by 3 miutes. He apparently mentioned this to a crew member who said just get back on the boat as they needed to get back for the afternoon trip. What made the matter worse for me was the fact he wasn't then put on O2.
I must point out that we had a great time with Captains Corner.
If I was to return to Key West I and my buddy wouldn't choose to dive with them again.

As for the reefs, they are what they are. A nurse shark is a nice and infrequent sighting. I have seen, been circled by, and swam with 2 eagle rays (while on CCR and I think they were intrigued with me) while diving off of Captains Corner on those very reefs. Can't blame Captains Corner for the flora, fauna, and coral, or lack thereof.

As for the bottles and crew, I don't know who you would have spoken with in advance other than the owner and I have to wonder what questions you had about cylinders for which you received differing responses. Letting water in? Regulator not on tight? I don't know. My experience has been fine through out and I dive virtually exclusively with Captains Corner (I live in KW).

As for the deco issue, cutting a stop short by 3 minutes by itself is non-descriptive, and not necessarily excitable. Was it a total of a 3 minute stop that became -0-? Was it a 15 minute stop that was shortened to 12? What was the depth? Dive time? 1st dive? 2nd dive? Is it mandated that a person be put on O2 because of a timing issue where they otherwise exhibit no symptoms and have no complaints? Why was it mentioned to the crew at all? Was the diver feeling rushed? Had the diver miscalculated dive time? Was the diver experiencing symptoms? The anecdotal presentation is all over the place and accusatory, without substance, IMO.

From my vantage point, and personal experience, I don't read any BS complaints, or complaints in general. Having not been personally present to see and understand first hand what transpired, or to have information provided from a disinterested 3rd party without a prejudice and without a personal grudge, I take all these writings with umpteen grains of salt. Such allegations should be thought out ad nauseum before being put in print.

Safe diving, my friends.

As for the reefs, they are what they are. A nurse shark is a nice and infrequent sighting. I have seen, been circled by, and swam with 2 eagle rays (while on CCR and I think they were intrigued with me) while diving off of Captains Corner on those very reefs. Can't blame Captains Corner for the flora, fauna, and coral, or lack thereof.

As for the bottles and crew, I don't know who you would have spoken with in advance other than the owner and I have to wonder what questions you had about cylinders for which you received differing responses. Letting water in? Regulator not on tight? I don't know. My experience has been fine through out and I dive virtually exclusively with Captains Corner (I live in KW).

As for the deco issue, cutting a stop short by 3 minutes by itself is non-descriptive, and not necessarily excitable. Was it a total of a 3 minute stop that became -0-? Was it a 15 minute stop that was shortened to 12? What was the depth? Dive time? 1st dive? 2nd dive? Is it mandated that a person be put on O2 because of a timing issue where they otherwise exhibit no symptoms and have no complaints? Why was it mentioned to the crew at all? Was the diver feeling rushed? Had the diver miscalculated dive time? Was the diver experiencing symptoms? The anecdotal presentation is all over the place and accusatory, without substance, IMO.

From my vantage point, and personal experience, I don't read any BS complaints, or complaints in general. Having not been personally present to see and understand first hand what transpired, or to have information provided from a disinterested 3rd party without a prejudice and without a personal grudge, I take all these writings with umpteen grains of salt. Such allegations should be thought out ad nauseum before being put in print.

Safe diving, my friends.

Hi Guys

Just to add to the above - I was there!

I know exactly what went on and IMHO Terry2puds post has been factual without being a blatant rant. If people do not erport such experiances then how else can you know what is going on with different operators?

Both Terry and I have traveled the world diving with litteraly hundreds of operators over the years, so we know what's right and what's not - but there will always be a difference in peoples knowledge and expectations. So just to highlight what Terry put here are the reasons he thought he needed to post this:

1. The drop tank is a safety precaution which did not work, I suspect the diaphram was dislodged or damaged, but on trying to breath from it you got a mouthfull of water. This is just dangerous no matter how you see it, there was no excuse I can immagine that justifies them putting this back in the water for a second dive after it was reported to one of the crew. I heard him relay our comments to one of the more experianced crew who just said - "yea, ok, we'll fix it later" - but didn't.

2. The diver who missed 3 minuits decompression done just that, and under any guidlines should have been put on O2 - not wait to see if simptoms appear. He was an elderly man diving air for the second time on the Vandenberg, so 2 x 100+ ft dives with only an hours interval, he had 10 minuits deco (not a safety stop) and he missed the last 3 minuits as his buddy - his son - was adjitated that everyone else was back on the boat and the dive brief had stipulated tight times for the dive due to them returning to port for the afternoon dive trp. His predicament was his own, but the crew knew what he had done, his physical age and condition, that he had missed the 3 minutes of deco and that his computer was alarming out constantly - another safety issue I personal cannot accept.

3. As for tank questions - we traveled from the UK and pre booked the diving over the net. When we arrived at the shop the person there didn't know about it - no big deal, employees can't know everything. As it turns out, they gave us the wrong times for the boat though. We got them to fill our stage cylinders we brought with us for the next day, they then forgot to put them on the boat and had to go back and get them next day after we reminded them. We ordered 100cft cylinders and nitrox so we could extend our bottom time which they said was fine and confirmed it, when we got there the cylinders were not available and they had not loaded nitrox tanks for us. If we had not visited the shop the day before we dived we would have had all the above problems which could not have been sorted on the dock. As it was, with the very tight turnaround times and only an hours surface interval we would not have been able to utalise the extra capacity of the larger tanks due to the time restrictions they put on the dives - so why not tell us that instead of just agreeing to everything we asked for over the net and then ignoring it when we arrived?

4. As for the poor reefs, we know there are better ones out there. We told the lady at the kiosk we had been particularly dissapointed with the last dive - 15ft of baren sand with no life and a few coral heads. It turns out almost everyone on the afternoon dive was just qualified and they chose a suitable site for them - but they did not tell this to us as we would not have gone on such a dive, as I am sure many experianced divers reading this would have done, but not very customer focused?

So these are the reasons Terry posted as he did, and I am 100% behind it. If anyone feels the above is proffessional or even ok, then that is your personal choice, but I can guarantee you there are better and safer opperators out there.

This is not a post I wanted to do, but following the above reply which just tries to shoot down a legitimate post I feel it's justifiable. I don't want people to think that Captains Corner are a realy bad bunch or an unsafe organisation, they just did not live up to our expectations on the two days we dived with them. They do a lot of good stuff, and the other people on the boat who don't have the insite into diving we have will all tell you what a great time they had, and I'm sure they did.

So take from this what you will, it's just my opinion, you chose who you dive with.

Regards

James

Just know this, from the standpoint of a S FL "native" -

Key West is a fantastic place to go for a vacation; its unique, has a ton of history, and a different vibe from the other Keys - I liken it (a little) to South Beach.

But the diving - especially compared to other places in the Keys (or Palm Beach County, for that matter) - leaves a lot to be desired - and with the exception of certain reefs I can think of in Key Largo, mixing divers and snorkelers is a bad idea, as is putting very new divers on the same site with those more experienced.

To the OP - I understand that on a vacation, compromises have to be mad - just know what you are jumping (diving) into.

I just dived with Capt. Corners the last week of April. Being a new diver and having a limited experiance with dive operators I have some mixed emotions regarding their operations. I personally had a great time and diving the Vandenburg was an awsome experiance. My dive to the wreck was cut short by my buddy who happened to draw a short tank from the rack. Yes he should have checked this out before he dove, BUT as I stated we are only 30 dives into SCUBA. We also hired a guide,($70) we thought that he would be more involved with helping us and making sure that we were geared up and doing this properly. Well he did keep an eye on us and our air, but this was about it. Other than the picture package that he sold at the end of the trip. I do have to agree with the other posts that they were really causal in regards to their operation as far as handling their tanks because on our 2nd dive my buddy pulled a tank with a bad o-ring and this was met with I'll fix that later. Would I dive with them again probally. the prices were reasonable the boat was clean and the crew was very nice. The were all just a bit to laid back.
We originally booked or dive with SOUTH POINT DIVERS on Monday and received a call on Tuesday night around 6:30Pm telling us that they were not going to take us because we were the only ones on the boat. That left us scrambling because we had a very limited time to find a new dive outfit and everyone was closed by that time tuesday. Thankfully we were able to get our dive in with C.C. BEWARE OF SOUTH POINT DIVERS because I was told that they do this often.

Just know this, from the standpoint of a S FL "native" -

Key West is a fantastic place to go for a vacation; its unique, has a ton of history, and a different vibe from the other Keys - I liken it (a little) to South Beach.

But the diving - especially compared to other places in the Keys (or Palm Beach County, for that matter) - leaves a lot to be desired - and with the exception of certain reefs I can think of in Key Largo, mixing divers and snorkelers is a bad idea, as is putting very new divers on the same site with those more experienced.

To the OP - I understand that on a vacation, compromises have to be mad - just know what you are jumping (diving) into.

Thanks I know what I'm getting into. Usually if I go to the Keys for diving I prefer Key Largo. This is all for my boyfriends 30th bday. He has gotten us two condos and invited everyone down. He really wants to go diving while we are down there but doesn't want to abandon everyone else. I think his plan is to get our diving in first and then probably to party a little too much. It should be interesting. Me, I'd prefer to stay in Key Largo and just dive or better yet head to Ft. Lauderdale area and dive the wrecks there. But, I'm sure I'll have fun in Key West. Thanks everyone for your advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom