What should families do with gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good thread. As someone else said, I think this goes beyond diving. We are all going to croak at some point. And, when we do, we are going to leave behind much more than SCUBA gear. In addition to discussing our wishes with loved ones, we need to document all of them in a will, particularly those of us who are single and wouldn't have a survivng spouse but really everyone. No, I'm not an attorney trying to draw clients! This is one of those things that sucks to think about but needs to be done...

good thoughts.... i for one have told hubby NOT to mourn over my death and i would be happy if he doesnt have a marker/stone for me. every day his uncle stands as his aunts grave crying, saying outloud that she promised she wouldnt leave him and how lonely he is without her. its been 3yrs now - it tore my heart apart watching him last month while visiting. i also told hubby NOT to replace me with a Philippino housemaid if possible but if he must she isnt allowed to use my tupperware :lotsalove:

as far as my dive gear goes, donate it, give it away... im happy with whatever they chose to do - as long as it doesnt sit in the garage unused

cheers

I use almost all me gear in every dive so if I died in a diving accident the following investigation would likely destroy all of it. If I died doing something other than diving, then it all goes to my brother.

I once had someone drop off their uncle's gear at my old scuba shop. She came in and said she really didn't want to throw it out so she thought she would just come by and drop it off. I offered her some money but she turned it down. It came in a big box and when I went into the box ( after she left) I pulled out grocery sacks with gear divided up in it and " sheriff's Dept" stamped on the side of it. I kept what i wanted and sold the rest. I tried to return the tank to a shop in DFW but they had gone out of business. It was very surreal realizing he had died in the gear. Everything was in like new condition, in the end it was a heart attack not a diving accident.

Greetings Isaac-1 it is ironic that you posted this thread this week. I just completed my "letter" just in case of an emergency. I think it is appropriate to prepare for such occurrences because they happen everyday. It is not being morbid but being prepared responsibly. I want my wife and kids to know my wishes and I trust my dive buddies to handle the rest. We as divers evolve and pursue more challenging circumstances, environments, physiological changes, etc. it is a possibility regardless of training and preparation accidents still happen. I do not dwell on these issues, the letter was my choice to resolve it. On further thought it would be a good idea to put a few copies in your safe, etc. Thanks to all the fellow divers here on SB for the continued community support and encouragement. Safe diving to all!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

The thought is what would I want my family to do with my scuba gear

Are you freekin kidding??? Who cares!!!! I'm pretty sure your freekin scuba gear will be the least of your "significant others" concerns!!!!!

Are you freekin kidding??? Who cares!!!! I'm pretty sure your freekin scuba gear will be the least of your "significant others" concerns!!!!!
Well, actually, in my job I have had my share of interaction with surviving "significant others", and what to do with the various positions of the deceased IS one of the concerns they have. A husband dies who is a skier, and before the funeral is over the wife will often be talking about and dealing with what to do with all the stuff hanging in the garage that she sees every time she gets into the car, the magazines laying around, the ski clothes hanging next to hers in the closet, etc. Does she keep it? Sell it? Give it away? It hurts to look at it all the time, but they feel guilty getting rid of it.

It's healthy to talk about this stuff before it happens, just in case, and knowng the decease's wishes in advance can really help the survivor make it easier to deal with in the wake of tragedy.

If you have any esoteric possessions, leave a note attached with your final wishes to give the executor some idea of how to value it and, if necessary, suggestions of where best to sell it.

Well, actually, in my job

I stand corrected, I didn't realize Christian Video & Music Producers dealt with death on a regular basis!!! My wife and I have an understanding upon our timely or untimely demise to dispose of material possessions in any way seen fit (sell, burn, throw away, whatever). We understand, at the end of the day, material/esoteric possessions are just stuff!!!

I stand corrected, I didn't realize Christian Video & Music Producers dealt with death on a regular basis...
I'm also one of the Associate Pastors, so life, sickness and death are regular duties ("Marry 'em to bury 'em," as we say :wink: ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom