What should i do with 1987 scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I do with them.

Attachments

• HPIM1040.jpg
    HPIM1040.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 98
This is all from memory so if I do not get every bit right don't ding me too much.

The "issue" with older aluminum tanks was limited to 6351 alloy from Faber. All those tanks were produced prior to January of 1988 or 1989. The failure rate was low enough that the Department of Transportation never issued a recall. Which I take the mean they were uncertain what, or if, there was an issue. In any case the manufacturer says you can keep the tanks in service by performing an Eddy current test for cracking at the time of hydro. Not all dive shops accept that. Apparently only 3 or 4 tanks out of several million produced have failed catastrophically too date. So that sounds like pretty good odds. Of course the worst case failure mode is having the tank blow up so you have to balance that. Much more likely is to find cracking at the time of an inspection or Eddy Current and have the tank pulled from service.

I’m not sure how much the extra testing costs but it may make more economic sense to buy a new tank if you are going to get it hydro’ed more than once.

It makes more sense to buy a new tank because so many shops refuse to touch the 6351 tanks. If you can fill it yourself, or have an LDS fill it, thats fine. But you will probably never be able to get it filled at a dive site.

Sell it at a yard sell. Put a high price on it then reduce it to a price that will sell. Add in a cheap mask with the deal.

This is all from memory so if I do not get every bit right don't ding me too much.

The "issue" with older aluminum tanks was limited to 6351 alloy from Faber. All those tanks were produced prior to January of 1988 or 1989.

It wasn't Faber... It was Luxfer....

Apparently only 3 or 4 tanks out of several million produced have failed catastrophically too date. .

I can't remember the exact number... but I think it was a little higher than that. (I'm sure someone will come along and post it).

Find a dive shop that actually understands the tank. They can be filled as long as they have the proper inspections. "Can't be filled" is a shop policy not a leagal requirment.

I used to think that also until I saw one that cracked after passing an Eddy-Test.

It developed a hairline crack in the neck while filling.

After actually seeing the tank and the tiny crack (that vented air), I agreed with others that it just wasn't safe to use and not worth risking the life of anyone, including the person filling the tank.

I won't fill them, no matter what's stamped on them or who VE'd them or how new they look.

This makes me an unknowledgable jerk, I know that.

I don't care.

All the best, James

I won't fill them, no matter what's stamped on them or who VE'd them or how new they look.

This makes me an unknowledgable jerk, I know that.

I don't care.

All the best, James

It's your right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom