What single suit for tropics (always traveling) - shorty or full? 3mm or other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
I've done about 80 dives but buying my first set of gear. I'll likely only own one wetsuit (at least for now), so what would you recommend? A shorty, full, or maybe long sleeves / shorts? Would 3mm be best? I'd also like something as compact / lightweight as possible for travel as I live in Kansas City (nowhere near the ocean!). I usually dive Florida, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. All times of the year, but mostly summer.

If you have specific brands / models you'd recommend, I'd love to hear about them too! I'd like to stay around $100, but my budget is flexible - particularly if it will help get something smaller / lighter but still warm... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
--Kyle

Hi All,
I've done about 80 dives but buying my first set of gear. I'll likely only own one wetsuit (at least for now), so what would you recommend? A shorty, full, or maybe long sleeves / shorts? Would 3mm be best? I'd also like something as compact / lightweight as possible for travel as I live in Kansas City (nowhere near the ocean!). I usually dive Florida, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. All times of the year, but mostly summer.

If you have specific brands / models you'd recommend, I'd love to hear about them too! I'd like to stay around $100, but my budget is flexible - particularly if it will help get something smaller / lighter but still warm... Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
--Kyle

I always wear a full suit. It leaves less exposed parts for jellyfish stings, sunburn, etc.

If weight is an issue, you can look at Fourth-Element's "neutrally buoyant" wetsuit. It's actually fabric like polar fleece and is suppose to be about the same warmth as a 3mm suit. I've never used it but it looks interesting.

flots.

Agree. If I had to pick 1 suit it would be a 3 mm full. I have a Neosport, which is okay and towards the budget end. My favorite is my Waterproof, but that's not budget. Good luck.

+1 for the Fourth Element 'Thermocline'. It's not actually a wetsuit - more akin to a thermal/plush lined fabric. It is very lightweight, very quick to dry and machine washable. It provides thermal protection equivalent to a 3mm wetsuit. I just use an LS Top for super lightweight travelling/diving in the tropics - enough to keep the chill off, in preference to a plain rash-guard.

Thermocline Neutrally Buoyant Wetsuit | Fourth Element

I always wear a full suit. In fact, I noticed in my pictures of Bonaire that I had switched to a 5ml for part of them so I must have gotten cold through the afternoon and evening dives.
Often, I may start in a 3ml in 84 degree water but need to switch to a 5ml if we're diving more than two dives in one day. It might not be 84 degrees at depth or at night, either and we almost always do a night dive. The body tends to get chilled after more than a couple of hours underwater, even with long, warm surface intervals.
Right now,lake is 80 on the surface, has an intense thermoclines and is in the high 50s below the thermocline.
If I could only take one suit, it would be the 5 ml, plus a thin hood. I use a Henderson suit, so I don't think they're as warm as a typical 5 ml but they are very stretchy and easy to get on.
I also use a Lycra skin. It prevents sunburn and makes it very easy to pull wetsuits on and off, even when wet. For $25 ( I always find one on sale), they're the best sunburn prevention and wetsuit glide on money can buy. I wouldn't dive wet without it. When it's hot, I dive and swim in my pool with just the skin. ( or help with confined water classes).

Hi All,
First of all, one thing I should point out that I started thinking about after posting this. When I dive, I usually have to pee :) So I don't like having a full suit on b/c I don't want to smell like urine! Not sure what the solution there is, but it makes me want to avoid a full suit if I can so I can "flush out" a shorty...

That said, the Fourth Element Thermocline looks very nice, but very expensive at $360! :( Would a long sleeve shirt and shorts version of this be good? Still, that would be $250... But to be so small and portable, still warm, and machine washable, it's worth considering...

After looking around, I also like the idea of a 3/2 full suit as I don't think I'd need the extra warmth (and weight) on my arms / legs... Here's a Bare Sport 3/2 Full for $113:
Bare Sport Full 3/2 mm. Suits 1-3 mm, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive
Or there's this Waterproof full 2.5mm for a little more:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...ort_Relevance/DescSort_0/Page_3/WPGW30FM.html

But because of my issue, I'm leaning towards a shorty and wearing a long sleeve rash guard under it. Or maybe a long sleeve shorty, but I don't see many of them... This Bare 3mm long sleeve is kind of pricey at $170:
Bare 3mm Men's Sport Step-In Jacket

Some have mentioned "Waterproof" - How would this Waterproof 2.5 Shorty be ($100)?
Waterproof W30, 2.5 mm Shorty, Men's

And I saw some recommending Aqua Lung in previous threads. Would this Quantum Stretch Shorty be a good choice ($80)?
Aqualung Quantum Stretch Shorty, Men's at PrimeScuba.com

Thanks for your help!
--Kyle

A 3mm. And I would carry a 2 or 3 mm hooded vest just for some extra flexibility.
A lot of people say they come to Belize and only dive in shorts and T shirt. But those are crazy Canadians :D or people that aren't diving 3 dives per day for a week.

The Waterproof suits are great. I've never tried the W30 shorty because I don't use one that often (plus it's is new). If you are leaning towards a shorty, I would seriously look at it. (And now that you reminded me they are out, I think I'll look too!)

A whites fusion sport drysuit?

I wash my wetsuits in the washing mashing and line dry. Usually I use the delicate cycle, always cold water. I've not always remembered to switch to the delicate cycle though.
they look practically brand new after 4 years of diving, probably 50 dives each suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom