What size (mm) wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tacman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello

Atrip for sometime in jan- march. my 7mm is probably to thick for diving there Hawaii/ maui. fins full foot? bare or wear somthing? is any month better?

thanks

I would have gladly worn a 7mm full suit on our trip last week to Maui!! :wink: Exposure protection depends on a lot of variables, including your cold tolerance, how many days you're diving, etc. We dove everyday and by day 3 I was starting to get cold in my 5mm full suit, so layered a 3mm vest under it. My husband wears a 3mm full with a 3mm vest, but wished he had a 5mm full this year. The water was 74 degrees and with it being mostly cloudy, we weren't able to really warm up on the boat between dives. Personally, I'd take the 7mm and if I'm too warm, let a little water into the neck.

Height, weight, gender, diving frequency/cold tolerance and where you normally dive will tell us all we need to let you know what to wear.... got one figured out, the others are important.

Most medium to larger males will do fine in a three mil, if you are 6'7" and 300# you may need nothing. Slender or small guys might appreciate a 5 or thicker, especially if they dive a lot.

Good advice on suits already. For fins, if you are going to do any shore diving I'd wear boots and open heel fins as many of the entries/exits, while simple, are over rocky areas, thorns etc..

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom