What size outboard are you running

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am slowly assembling the components of my 'inflatable summer.' So far I have a nice 11' Hypalon inflatable with an air deck, a CE Smith trailer and now it's time to get an outboard. The limit on this inflatable is a 15 hp motor and no more than 114 pounds on the transom.

I'm thinking a four stroke 9.8 Tohatsu, or 15 HP four stroke too. At most I'll 4 people on the inflatable (including) driver. If I go diving - it'll will be one person with someone playing surface duty - the wife and doggie.

Curious to know what folks are running on their smaller inflatables.

Cheers,

X

Hey Folks,

I am slowly assembling the components of my 'inflatable summer.' So far I have a nice 11' Hypalon inflatable with an air deck, a CE Smith trailer and now it's time to get an outboard. The limit on this inflatable is a 15 hp motor and no more than 114 pounds on the transom.

I'm thinking a four stroke 9.8 Tohatsu, or 15 HP four stroke too. At most I'll 4 people on the inflatable (including) driver. If I go diving - it'll will be one person with someone playing surface duty - the wife and doggie.

Curious to know what folks are running on their smaller inflatables.

Cheers,

X

Any of the 4-stroke 15s are going to put you on the edge of the weight rating but that's what I'd put on the back. There's nothing like having all the power possible when it's needed with just a twist of the wrist and as long as you don't abuse it, the transom will be fine.

I usually ran a Merc 25 two stroke, weighed 100 pounds and hauled arse. N

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the input. I think one thing I have to do is pull this thing out of the box and see what it looks like sometime soon. I'm leaning towards 15 hp because having extra horses is a nice safety margin when it gets choppy out there and you are lugging people, or gear.

Cheers,

X

I have a tohatsu four stroke on my little boat. When I did the research, it seemed that all of the Nissan and Mercury small outboards were made by Tohatsu anyway. I bought it online and shipping was free.

Looking back, upgrading to the alternator would have been nice to charge up the battery on the GPS/Depthfinder unit.

Also, I don't know how far you plan on taking it out, but the transom gas tanks help free up the floor. I opted for the 3 gallon one, but the 6 gallon one is here.

I have a tohatsu four stroke on my little boat. When I did the research, it seemed that all of the Nissan and Mercury small outboards were made by Tohatsu anyway. I bought it online and shipping was free.

Looking back, upgrading to the alternator would have been nice to charge up the battery on the GPS/Depthfinder unit.

Also, I don't know how far you plan on taking it out, but the transom gas tanks help free up the floor. I opted for the 3 gallon one, but the 6 gallon one is here.

Thanks for the link & recommendation. I hadn't seen these tanks before and seem like a practical solution to freeing up some space on the floor. What's also interesting is that I ordered the inflatable from Defender Industries. Very professional outfit and someday I'll have to take a trip there to see what must be a very large showroom.

Cheers

X

I would recommend max HP too. I have a 40 horse and often feel like I could use more. 4 divers with double tanks and my boat barely planes. Tohatsu seems popular these days. If it were me, I would try to find a used motor. They are darn expensive new, and there are so many out there from people who used them less than ten times, otherwise they sat in the garage. 1/2 price or and even better deal sounds like the way to go to me. Again I am a cheap bastard, and could not imagine spending much on an inflatable. I traded for my boat.

I've been comparing the weights of certain outboards and Suzuki 15 hp 4 stroke comes out much lighter than a Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury of the same size. 114 lbs for a short shaft 15 vs a much more reasonable 97 pounds. That being said - I've never seen a Suzuki?

http://www.newoutboards.com/Suzuki-15-hp-outboard-DF15MSK10.html

At the end of the day when I need to unmount the motor from the transom I can almost guarantee that it'll be just me moving the thing off. I can move a standard Gavin scooter a few feet here and there - but I never really like it without a dolly. :)

Cheers,

X

Last edited:
The 9.9 and the 15 share the same block, the same SOHC 2-valve head, have the same bore & stroke, and both use the same 2.07:1 lower unit. I almost think there might be an error on their website: Suzuki Marine - DF15/9.9T - Features and Specifications

I'd love to know where the 15hp is losing ~20 lbs. from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom