What size outboard are you running

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That little 15hp should do great! The four strokes have plenty of torque. You might need a prop change though. Personally owning a two stroke I can tell you they stink and sometimes leave an oil sheen. I would take a four stroke any day of the week. Funny story...one day I was launching at our local river, towing with my Prius. Some friendly homeless bums drinking beer there asked me if the motor was a two stroke or a four stroke, then with laughter were giving me a hard time. We all got a good laugh out of it.

These tachs can be really handy for propping a motor, plus it acts as an hour meter.
Tiny-Tach: Gasoline Tachometers

Thanks Nemrod and Peter! I did see new Yamaha's two years ago as they were the last bunch of the 2 strokes being moved out - but the Carb Compliance issue in some of the local lakes were a concern. 100 lb transom weight would be perfect - but I got this baby now. If I end up in the hospital with a hernia I will be quoting your earlier recommendations. :depressed:

The tach above looks terrific! Cheers. I like the story about the "strokes." :D

X

p.s. added some pictures from my just completed trailer kit from CE Smith. I think a very capable mechanic could this put this trailer together in 4-5 hours. Me - it took something like 12 hours and this includes a few hours spent filing away portions of the axle which wasn't quite to specs. Most of the parts are made in China. On the plus side it is fully modular, and all the parts were in the kit so no calling Ikea for spare parts. :D I have not hooked up the inflatable or motor yet..... :shakehead:

Attachments

• Trailer One.jpg
    Trailer One.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Trailer Two.jpg
    Trailer Two.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Mr. X, carbon is nice but steel is real, one of quite a few bikes I seems to have, actually a forest of steel bikes, mostly Italian, but this is my favorite lately, Surly Cross Check:

P8070088.jpg

I put this one together spring a year ago, I rescued the frame from a trash bin, rides like silk:

DSCF0040-1.jpg

I am looking pretty hard for a Yamaha 25 but of course don't want to spend any money either, lol. I found a nice one but it is a long shaft and I want a 15 inch short shaft. I use a trailer also in the past with my Cancuro but have found that unless either the engine is removed or somehow supported that it can be very rough on the transom on glued fabric boats.

N

Mr. X, carbon is nice but steel is real, one of quite a few bikes I seems to have, actually a forest of steel bikes, mostly Italian, but this is my favorite lately, Surly Cross Check:

I put this one together spring a year ago, I rescued the frame from a trash bin, rides like silk:

DSCF0040-1.jpg

N

Sweet ride Nemrod !!! :thumb: Steel is definitely real. Spent time on some new carbon wheels today and they gave my rear end a real thrashing. Fast, but $$$$.

Put the motor on and so far...no sagging. I've got bunk support and the motor is resting on something to take the weight off.

Cheers,

X

Thanks, sounds like you got it figured out on the boat. Just keep an eye on it.

Bikes are fun. I am lusting (Jimmah Carter) for a carbon bike but I am sure my wife will kill me if I even were to mention it. You are aware of the Universal Bicycle Equation are not you? N+1 = the number of bikes you need where "N" represents the number of bikes you currently own. Of course, this equation has applications in other areas as well.

N+1

Thanks, sounds like you got it figured out on the boat. Just keep an eye on it.

Bikes are fun. I am lusting (Jimmah Carter) for a carbon bike but I am sure my wife will kill me if I even were to mention it.

Carbon lust:

Thanks re: the inflatable.

Cheers,

X

Attachments

• Carbon rulz.jpg
    Carbon rulz.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 210
Returning to topic, I run twin 150 hp Evinrude Ficht motors (2-stroke) on my 7,8m Ballistic RIB. Fully separate tanks and electrical systems for both. I have to warn my passengers in advance because it reaches planing speed in a couple of seconds. First timers first wonder, but, then get the hint, when I offer them slalom ski helmets and goggles. Max speed 50 knots. They say that life begins at 40 (knots).

Gas consumption is 1 liter per nautical mile per motor. Tanks 2x240 liters. I have spent up to 400 USD of gas for a single (solo) dive. That was an excellent dive, but, the cost did reach a pain point.

However, one aim of mine is to spend more money on gas costs than on maintenance. In 2011 I think I reached my target. In 2009 and 2010 I did not, because I had to replace the transmission of one motor and all the hypalon tubes. Two of the tube compartments had serious air flooding through the seams and it became apparent that the original glue on all tubes was reaching end of life.

Gas consumption is 1 liter per nautical mile per motor. Tanks 2x240 liters. I have spent up to 400 USD of gas for a single (solo) dive. That was an excellent dive, but, the cost did reach a pain point.

Your passengers must have a blast being on your rocket!!! We need a pic of your monster !

Cheers,

X

Back
Top Bottom