What size outboard are you running

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious to know what folks are running on their smaller inflatables.

A 200; sorry I couldn't resist. :)

Attachments

• RIB.jpg
    RIB.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 172
The smaller engines (as we are discussing) with a 3-6 gallon tank have an injection reservior?

I thought the large direct injection engines had a reservoir they drew from?

Never heard anything bad about Optimax, Etec on the other hand had many corrosion issues. It seemed that a good one was really good; and a bad one was really bad....

Unfortunately very few two stroke small engines are available. They are not suited to the Opti/Etec/Orbital/DI technologies. The Yamaha two stroke 25 is apparently now no longer available which makes me sad as I wanted one, guess I have to look used. Problem is finding a two stroke Merc 25 or Yamaha 25 that is not been killed is hard.

Yes, the small engines had a separate oil reservoir in either the tank or the power head, Optis have a oil reservoir under the cowling that draws from a reservoir in the boat. Older engines you of course did mix the oil and gas.

The new four stroke Yamaha 20 is listed at 115 pounds? Hmmm, I wonder about that?

N

I'll see your 200 and raise the stakes to 2000 HP (this ain't photoshopped either)

That's amazing! My fuel consumption is 10 gallons per hour, I have two 20 gal tanks giving it a range of about 150 nautical miles. Can you imagine the fuel consumption on this beast? I guess if you run drugs for a living, the cost of fuel doesn't matter much. :)

Duplicate post (sorry)

Twin 175 Yamaha 2 strokes with 800 litres of 'gas' at 20 cents a litre, hmmmm

20 cents per litre! I pay about $1.10 (about $4.95 per imperial gallon). The lowest prices I've found have been in Libya (17 cents per litre).

What bugs me so much is that I have to pay these prices and Canada possesses the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world (second only to Saudi Arabia). I don't get it. :depressed:

I am running a 40HP s stroke Merc on my 14' SIB.

I have had 3 divers with 3 tanks and gear for each out at one time. If the water was anything but flat it would have been difficult. I was able to plane out and stay there pretty easily.

I have also been out with 2 divers, 2 tanks with gear for each when there was 2' swell's off Cape Ann MA and found it difficult to get up on plane and stay there.

As to fuel performance, I use a 6 gallon tank and don't remember ever coming in with less than a 1/4 tank left after a full day of diving. Most of the time it is around a 1/2 tank. I have gone out about 3 miles and have gone as far as 15 miles up or down the coast without anything other than a soar shoulder when I get back (tiller handle).

You will never have too much motor provided you stay with in what your boat is rated for. You don't always have to go to full throttle.......but you can't add anymore once you are there and it isn't enough.

In the end buy as much motor as you can afford. Hope this helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom