What size pony tank for 130'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo or buddy dive? RMV? Dive Plan? Gin or Vodka? Shaken or stirred?

Hi @SlyStrat

This topic has been discussed many times on SB. Do your own calculation using your average RMV. A commonly used calculation is a minute at depth, a normal ascent (say 30 ft per minute to be conservative), and a 3 min SS, all at twice your avg RMV.

My avg RMV is 0.36 cu ft /min. For an ascent from 130 ft, my gas use is 16 cu ft. For a no stop dive, the ascent could safely be a bit quicker and the SS could be skipped. I sling a 19. I dive solo, I'm rarely at 130 feet.

@Johnoly There's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know" or asking for pointers to how to figure this out, but like @scubadada said, the information's here already. If you can't figure something out or don't know the right question to ask about what's been posted, PM me or ask here.

@Johnoly There's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know"
Everyone dives differently. At 130 deep some are working hard pulling a fish out from under a rock. Others can't see more than 15ft and are moving at a snail's pace. But 130 on 2 or 3 repeat dives is very unforgiving. In my case for Jupiter diving, I'll take a 50% o2 mix. I can easily get from 130 up to 70 and start washing out that nasty N2 stuff or switch from a broken reg/valve. A pony tank of air is not Jupiter 'productive' for multi-drop 130 feets.
But like I said >>>>>Everyone dives differently and no single configuration is good for every diver or even every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom