What size tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNawman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All, I'm starting to get my gear together for cave training. What size and make of tank is everyone diving. What is the best BP (Alum or SS) when caving with wetsuit and doubles (steel)? Thanks in advance for the info.

I would go for a set of 95's LP or 85's depending on what you are most confortable with. I would say that Fabers are the most used.

Faber 108s, PST 104s, OMS 112s, PST E8-130s, Worthington something somthing. They all have different numbers behind them, but they all hold the same amount of gas. If you are really short, get the 95s or 98s (once again same size tanks). If you are really tall, get the low preasure 120s. I'd go aluminum backplate, unless you choose really small tanks like the 85s (which I agree are really nice tanks, but in my opinion a better option for boat diving), then I'd probably use a Stainless Steel backplate.

MNawman:
Hi All, I'm starting to get my gear together for cave training. What size and make of tank is everyone diving. What is the best BP (Alum or SS) when caving with wetsuit and doubles (steel)? Thanks in advance for the info.

The biggest question what are you most comfortable in? There is nothing wrong with AL80s,just they are usually frowned on because they can't be overpressurized. The most important thing is no matter what you choose,take lots of time to get comfortable in them with good trim,that will make your class experience much better.

Thanks guys. Does anyone know the weight of the PST E8 130 and the Faber LP 120, empty? I have a set of Alum 80's doubles now which will be my seconds on boat trips. The steels will be for caves and first boat dives. Knowing this, should I wear an Alum BP with the steel tanks and a SS BP with the Alum tanks? The steel tanks will be used in fresh and salt water. I am trying to eliminate or drastically reduce my weight belt. For now I will be diving wet, but will get a drysuit next year. I currently wear 20 lbs with full wet suit in salt water.

karstdvr:
The biggest question what are you most comfortable in? There is nothing wrong with AL80s,just they are usually frowned on because they can't be overpressurized. The most important thing is no matter what you choose,take lots of time to get comfortable in them with good trim,that will make your class experience much better.
I frown on them (AL80s) because of their buoyancy characteristics. But I do use them in warm water when I don't need a drysuit.
IXΘYΣ

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom